Chapter - 33 The Fight

Blaze searched her eyes and asked, "What do you think about me? About us?"

She gave him a soft smile, rubbing her fingers across his hand. "I like the way that sounds ...... us. I've never been an us before."

That made him smile and he said, "I like the way that sounds too."

She saw a shadow looming over their lunch table and she looked up to see Austin Fox standing there with his arms crossed across his chest glaring at their joined hands and then looking at her angrily.

"So THIS is why you wanted us to be just friends? So you could hook up with Blaze?" he asked angrily, saying it loud enough that it got everyone's attention in the cafeteria. They were all watching and whispering now.

"Austin," she said, standing up. "Calm down. It wasn't like that."

"Oh it wasn't?" he scoffed. "What was it like then? Enlighten me Jolie."

She looked around at all of the eyes staring at her before saying quietly. "Honestly, I HAD started feeling things for Blaze but I had no idea if he felt the same way. This thing with me and him didn't happen until after. I told you I wanted to just be friends because I didn't want to lead you on."

"Didn't want to lead me on?" he repeated, and then he shook his head, laughing. "So what about all those times you held my hand and that kiss at the dance? Was THAT you not leading me on?" he scoffed.

"I was confused. I wasn't sure what I wanted. I wasn't leading you on on purpose Austin. I would never do that."

"Sure," he said under his breath sarcastically. He looked her up and down, shaking his head in judgement. "Who knew a virgin could be such a slut?"

Jolie saw Blaze standing up out of her peripheral vision and she turned her head just in time to see his fist flying towards Austin's face, connecting with his cheek.

Austin staggered backwards and Blaze shoved him, taking him down to the ground and punching him again. Austin struggled to get out from under him, doing a hip roll and getting on top, landing a punch on Blaze's face.

They struggled, rolling around like this for a minute, landing punches on each other while Jolie watched in horror. The next thing she knew Austin's football friends were coming to his rescue, pulling Blaze off of him.

They held Blaze back as Austin got to his feet, wiping the blood from his lip.

"Fuck you Blaze!" he yelled, pointing his finger at his chest. "You're a worthless loser just like your old man and you're gonna be living in a trailer, working as a garbage man picking up my trash when I'm a doctor."

Blaze glared at him as he took in his words. "Yeah maybe. But at least I'll be happy."

"Right," Austin scoffed. "Happy being a loser."

Jolie looked at Austin and said, "You're just mad that I picked him over you. You're so jealous you can't stand it. Well I have news for you. You already lost. That's right," Jolie said loudly to everyone around them. "Blaze McDaniels won. He took my virginity."

Everyone in the cafeteria gasped and there was a rumble of voices chattering.

She narrowed her eyes at Austin and said smugly, "I think that makes YOU the loser."