Chapter 2

Mia rises from her bed and walks sleepily to her bathroom. Her face looks tired and her eyes still a little red from crying last night. She looks at herself in the mirror and thinks about what to do today, it's Saturday, a pleasant break from school and social interaction. Mia turs on the faucet and bends down, cupping some water in her hands to wash off her face. After brushing her hair and teeth she gets dressed and sits down for breakfast.

"How did you sleep Mia?" her mom asks nicely. "I hope you got enough rest and didn't stay awake thinking about her."

"You heard me didn't you?" Mia asks. "Ever since you put that picture there I can't ever forget about that day."

"If you forget about that day and every day before that you spent with her, then you'll forget the one friend you truly loved," she says. "I know it's hard but please find a way to cope with what happened, and I'm here if you want to talk about it."

Mia nods and eats her breakfast quickly before leaving home. She walks down the street past the small café and to the cities' public library. She walks through the aisles and picks out a few romance novels and carries them to the front desk. She takes her library card from her wallet and gets the books scanned, then she finds a quiet corner to read.

"Maybe my mom is right, it has been 7 years since she died" Mia thinks to herself.

She sets a bookmark on her page and sets it down at her side with the others, her mind moving only to think about her old friend. Her name was Jade, she had long blond hair and was very energetic and extroverted. She had stuck with her since they were young and Jade would always get Mia to try new things, whether that be riding a bike down a trail, snowboarding, going to parties to hang out with friends, or spending time at the local mall.

Even though the two girls were young and just starting junior high, Jade had passed too young in her life. One day during the summer she was exploring an old ravine with Mia near a bike trail. The girls had climbed down to a small river and found a log laying across it. It wasn't a large drop down to the water, but it was enough for more than a small injury. Jade had stepped badly on the log as she turned back towards Mia, trying to get Mia to join her. Jade's foot slipped and she lost her balance, falling down into the shallow river. Sadly for Mia she couldn't help but watch in horror as a sharp rock pierced Jade's back, puncturing her lung.

Mia found a long path down to the river, running down it to try to save her friend. Tears streaming down her face Mia held Jade in her arms as she gave her final words. Mia stayed at her side crying over her for hours, and later when it was dark she saw lights at the top of the ravine. Her mother came down with a flashlight along with her dad who held her as she cried. And ever since that day Mia was convinced that Jade's death was on her hands, going with her that day and going too close to the edge. This was the reason why Mia avoided everyone and was always quiet, to save others from harm by meeting her.

Mia's mind snaps back to reality as the head librarian announces an early closing of the library that day. Mia picks up her books and takes them with her as she leaves, then she takes a short walk back home. Mia sets the books on her desk and lays in her bed to watch a show, her eyes moving to the top to see a text from Sandra.

"[Hey there Mia! Are you busy? I was going to head out with some friends from school to the mall, maybe for a movie and lunch if you want to join. You don't have to come with me but I told them about you and they wish to meet you face to face.]" Sandra's message says.

"[I'll meet you outside that café we went to after school, see you then.]" Mia replies.

She lets out a small sigh right after her finger hits the send button, she sits up from her bed and gets ready again, bringing her phone and wallet with her. A few minutes later Mia sits at a small table outside the café, relaxing in the shade of the umbrella with a cold drink in her hands. Sandra waves to her and stands next to her chair.