Chapter 10

As Eddie Lawson walked down the corridor towards the sets of doors that lead outside, he was still struggling to take in what had heard in the office.

Looking out through the doors, he could see Elle sat alone on the steps, her head raised and gazing into the distance. Gently opening and closing the door Eddie made his way over to where she was sitting and placed himself down next to her, looking into the distance to see the view of the local houses and the cars driving up and down the road living their lives.

"Grace has come into Miss Mason's office looking for you." Simon said calmly as he continued to stare at the horizon. Elle didn't move as Eddie said this and he wasn't sure if she had even heard what he had said.

"I can't tell her." Elle said sadly and quietly as her throat was tight from fighting back her tears. She didn't want to cry anymore as her eyes were getting sore and tired.

"We've called your Mum and she is coming in to collect you and Grace." Mr Lawson said calmly as he too turned his eyes to the houses across the road.

He could understand the reason why Elle was just looking at the houses across the road looking through the windows. Just watching the world carrying on around her knowing life has changed forever now since hearing the one word "CANCER".

"All I wanted was one more day." Elle said quietly as she turned to look at Eddie.

"One more day to be just me without anyone asking me questions, checking up on me, no medication, people just treating me exactly like they do any other day." Elle explained.

Mr Lawson just looked at Elle she has grown up since joining Waterloo road. He has always had a soft spot for the twins being smart girls trying really hard in school because of their mum.

The twins lost their dad very early on when they first joined secondary school. It was one day:

Past

Eddie Lawson was teaching a maths class with students getting on with their work and chatting in the process.

Rachel Mason came in Eddie looked at the head wondering why she popped in his class.

"Mr Lawson please May I take Grace and Elle Parker please" Rachel Mason asked him.

"Okay Grace, Elle go with Miss Mason" he said.

"Girls bring your bags as well please" Rachel told the twins.

As the twins left the classroom with the headteacher Eddie came out to whispering into Rachel's ear

"What's going on" he asked her.

"Unfortunately, I have just received a phone call from Elizabeth Parker the girls mum telling me she having a police officer coming to collect the girls up from here because the twin's Dad has sadly passed away in a car accident" Rachel says quietly.

"Oh no really that's dreadful those poor girls.

"I struggled to bring myself to tell Grace for weeks. We've always been together doing everything together since we were born. We both learnt to swim together, to ride a bike, always been in the same classes at school, had the same friends. We both even have colds at the same time. What will she do if I'm no longer here?" Elle sobbed, Lawson pulling her in for a gentle hug, handing her a tissue out of his pocket. "This is the first time something has only happened to one of us. How am I going to get through this without her?" Elle asked quietly as she dabbed gently at her eyes with the tissue.

"She'll be there for you. She may not being going through it the same as you but she'll be there for you I'm sure." Eddie explained as he looked deep into Elle's eyes, the fear evident within them.

Elle turned her gaze back to the dull houses briefly before slowly getting up off the stairs, pausing as she waited for Mr Lawson to get up and follow. She had to face the music at some point and decided to do it now. She would rather do it before her Mum got there as she felt it would be worse if she was there too, and that way everyone will be in the loop when she arrives.

It's time for no more secrets.