||CHAPTER ONE||

(small note this image is what Solane looks like :])

4 years later. . .

Solane sighed as she walked out of the school, books and journals clutched to her chest. Her brunette hair swayed slightly as the wind picked up.

"School borin' you yet sis?" Sol asked her with a half smile etched on his face, he scooted over as she sat next to him on a wooden bench. She moved her hair back over her ear "I just can't wait to get out of here, get away from all the drama and start my life in the city" she replied simply.

During their junior-year, they had planned to move out of their aunt's house to live in Gotham, at first they just wanted to live at their parents' old house but there weren't many good job opportunities in the outskirts compared to when they were younger. Back then there was plenty, but of course not much stayed the same, as businesses moved, shut down or just didn't offer enough.

Sol rested his elbows on his thighs, sighing longly. "I must admit" he curled his fingers around each other "I'm gonna miss this place" he admitted in an unsteady tone. Solane couldn't argue that she'd miss this place to death once they had packed their things in a U-haul and drove off.

"What job do you plan on getting once we're there anyway?" Sol flicked his black spiky hair, funny enough it looked like he hadn't showered in a week. Solane shrugged her shoulders, putting her books beside her "haven't thought that far yet" she replied.

"I might look up applications when we get home if aunt June isn't in a crabby mood" she sneered at that, their aunt June acted as if she fought in Vietnam and had a bit too many cigarettes to smoke. That old lady is always in a mood. Solane thought, slightly shaking her head.

Sol chuckled, knowing well what she was thinking. He leaned back, throwing an arm around his sister's neck, she leaned her head on his shoulder, her nostrils picked up the scent of motor oil, she figured he was toying with his cherry red Honda motorbike again.

"What do you plan on doing?" she asked in a low voice, feeling her brother's fingers fiddling with her hair "honestly I might go with being a mechanic, I heard they get decent pay. Especially in a big city like that" she smiled, remembering how he would watch their father like a hawk as he fixed his car in the garage from time-to-time.

After a moment of silence Sol got up from the bench, putting his hands in his pants. "I think we should get going before aunt June starts blowing up my phone" Solane nodded, taking off her backpack and shoving the books inside, she tossed the bag back on her shoulders and followed him over to his bike. Sol tossed over her helmet, she twirled her hair out of her face before putting the helm on.

Sol started his bike up, the engine roared as he revved it. She climbed on the back, wrapping her arms around him as he drove off the school canvas, Solane's music playing in her ears as her brother drove. The wind on her body felt refreshing, the feeling of freedom was complemented by the sun's orange gaze on the sky.

She'd only been half-asleep when she felt the weight of her brother stop the bike in the tiny garage, she got off and took off her helmet, wiping her eyes with her free hand. Sol set his helmet down on the desk next to the door, it opened with a creek as he let Solane inside first.

"You two are late, again" their aunt June hissed at the teens as she was finishing up cooking in the microwave "traffic" Solane replied boredly as she dragged herself upstairs "at 4:00 in the afternoon in the middle of nowhere? If it was Friday I would believe you" Sol flinched his shoulders at his aunt's loud reply, Solane just rolled her eyes as she reached the top of the stairs.

June yelled out to them one last time "you two had better make sure to be ready for your graduation tomorrow!" her voice seemed louder than before.

"Yes aunt June!" Sol yelled back, shutting the bedroom door.