Chapter 44

Another one. Stay home, stay safe.

Darius wasn't sure how long he had been asleep, but he does know that when he woke up, the sun was low. Looking around the room, he saw Claire resting her head on Owen's shoulder. He turned his head and saw Yaz and Sammy a few feet away from each other, but still sleeping. Looking to his right, he saw Brooklynn resting on his shoulder. He kissed her on the head, and decided it was time to wake up. "Brooklynn. Wake up." The younger woman stirred and rubbed her eyes awake. "Let's wake the rest up. We still gotta find Ben and Zia." Brooklynn nodded her head.

After everyone was awake, he lead them out of the truck. "Where are we going? Shouldn't we stay in the truck?" Franklin asked.

"We gotta find Zia and Ben." Darius whispered. "If anyone hears a Raptor roaring in pain, we head that direction."

"What? You want us to go TOWARDS a Velociraptor?" Franklin asked again.

"It makes sense." Claire clarified. "Zia is a Paleo Vet, and she would probably keep Ben close to her as her assistant."

After looking for a few minutes, Darius heard a loud, ear piercing scream. Looking back at Owen to see if he recognized that roar too, the older man nodded. Darius started moving towards the noise which gets louder. Finally, he gets to a truck, and hears two muffled voices, trying to take care of the animal. Darius opens it up, and pokes his head in. He smiles as he sees Zia and Ben. Zia notices them before Ben. "Oh my god, you're-" Ben puts a hand over her mouth to prevent her from drawing attention to the van.

Darius takes his head out, and a moment later Brooklynn climbs in followed by Sammy, Claire, Franklin, and Owen. Darius climbs in as well, and shuts the flap.

"Oh God, look what they've done to her." Owen says, rushing to Blue's side.

"What's the situation out there?" Ben asks.

"Animal traffickers. Our working theory is that they plan to sell them." Brooklynn explains. "And Blue just might be the money maker."

Zia shook her head. "No, they need her for something else."

"How do you know that?" Darius asked.

"If they wanted to, they could have just sold her blood." Zia says. "That's much more valuable than an injured raptor. They could just make more. But if they need her alive, then it has to be for something else."

Darius nodded. "Glad I'm not doing all the thinking anymore." Sammy rolls her eyes, while Brooklynn gave him a playful elbow to the side. "What can we do to help you guys?"

"She's losing a lot of blood. She needs a transfusion." Zia told them.

Owen asks, "What are we looking for?"

"Carnivores, two or three fingers. No more than three." Zia clarifies.

Darius thought for a moment before he said, "Would ole' Rex work?"

Brooklynn looked at him. "That's a terrible idea."

"Which is the only idea we have left." Ben said.

Darius took control of the situation. "Alright, Ben, you're with me. Franklin, take over for Ben. Sammy, Brooklynn, help Zia the best you can." Franklin started mumbling no several times. Darius was losing patience with him. "Franklin, get over there now, or I'm gonna come to you and throw your ass overboard."

That seemed to get him to snap out of it for a moment before putting his hands over where Ben just was. Unfortunately for him, as he pressed on the wound, a splatter of blood went everywhere. Darius internally groaned. Franklin started moaning again. "Oh God. My mouth was open. Did it get in my mouth?"