Chapter Forty Eight

It had been almost three months since Darius and Brooklynn got engaged. The soon to be Weds told Claire and Owen the next morning. Claire was thrilled and Owen celebrated with Darius over an evening beer after everyone was asleep. He managed to call his brother, let him know what happened. To say that Brandon was excited was an understatement. He was thrilled. His brother was finally getting married. Brooklynn called her dad's and they were ecstatic that their daughter was getting married.

Brooklynn couldn't believe that the day would be coming sooner than expected. Even though she never had a serious relationship before Darius, she always knew marriage was something she wanted. And she was happy she would spend the rest of her life with Darius.

The cabin house was finally completed enough to the point that Owen, Claire, and Maisie could move in. Darius and Brooklynn still lives in Owen's van. The younger man was grateful that Owen was letting them stay there. Owen eventually got all his stuff out of there and into the cabin, and Brooklynn was free to decorate the van however she wanted.

She kept it real simple. A couple of fancy ish curtains over the windows, and maybe a house plant or two. During the course of their engagement, Brooklynn and Darius found it easy to share the bed. She loved feeling his chest against her back with an arm wrapped around her waist. She didn't realize how quickly she'd get used to it.

Brooklynn woke up to her fiance gone. She checked her clock and saw it was almost two. She was worried because she couldn't see Darius in the camper, but she looked out the window and saw him outside. She was concerned because it was just about to be winter, and it was probably freezing out there.

She opened the door and said, "Darius what are you doing out here? It's freezing." She saw he had on pants and a jacket, but she didn't know how long he'd been out here.

Darius turned around and saw Brooklynn. "I'll be back inside in a few minutes, okay?"

She walked down the steps into the cold ground and asked, "What's wrong?"

He put on a fake smile and sighed. "Nothing. Just... Enjoying the view." He gave her forehead a small kiss.

Brooklynn closed her eyes and shook her head. "You know I can read you like a book, Darius. How long is it gonna take for us to be completely honest with each other?"

The man sighed and hugged her. "Ben should be here. Kenji should be here. And Josh should be here. But they're not. Because I failed them. My only saving grace is that I haven't gotten my own brother killed. But Brooklynn, you're about to become the center of my world. You've been in it for a while and you have meant everything to me. But now, you're gonna be my wife, my reason to stay alive and keep fighting. And I'm just worried I'm gonna fuck it up. But there's no doubt in my mind I want to marry you."

Brooklynn rested her head in his chest and sighed. "I love you Darius. And I'm always gonna stand beside you, but you don't have to worry about doing it alone. You don't have to do everything single handedly anymore. I'm with you for better or for worse. Knowing our luck, probably worse. But I don't care. Because I love you."

Darius smiled. "Thanks Brooke."

"You're welcome." She sighed, which brought her to a shiver. "Okay, can we go inside now? It's fucking freezing out here."

He laughed. "You've been out here for two minutes."

"Two minutes too long." she countered. "Besides, I'm wearing shorts and a tank top."

He let out another laugh and followed her inside. Brooklynn immediately ran to the bed and covered herself with the blankets. Darius undressed to his pajamas and made his way to the bed. He got under the blanket with her, and Brooklynn put her cold hand on his face. "Ahh, that's cold." he said with a shiver.