2-9. The Past catching up. (Arc 2: Cultists Problems - Start)

*Evan POV*

I walked towards the east side of the kingdom after talking to the library's granny.

Maybe I should've stayed there and read a couple more books and shouldn't have just given her the money and left. But what's 10 silvers? I had to get to the east gate for the slimes quest and the alchemical ingredients in the wilderness at exactly this time, so I couldn't waste time and risk another run-in with the zombies, and I want to explore a bit too, find some answers. Everything will be hard once the moon comes up.

As I entered the east side of the kingdom, the bustling people faded away. There were fewer houses, more empty lots, and fewer happy people. There were more adventurers, like me, wearing armor and carrying weapons, but there were also more poor people, unclean people wearing dirty or tattered clothes, It was clear that I had entered the slums. The smell of sewage filled the air, and the houses were battered and neglected.

I checked my map and there aren't even any inn's here. I scanned my surroundings and saw Kids, dirty, with the bare minimum of clothing, ran about or sat motionless. I couldn't help but clenched my fist a little bit. I don't know if I was naïve or felt charitable but these kids deserved a better life. Regardless, poverty was something that I couldn't do anything about, even if I did gave them all my money, they'll be back to scrambling the streets for survival the very next day, I couldn't afford to help them even if I wanted to.

Maybe later down my adventurer career, I might be able to do something, but my objective right now was clear. Getting the money and some answers was top priority.

My train of thought derailed as a familiar word was spoken behind me.

"Reid?" It was a weak and quiet voice, maybe some of the kids called someone out but that name was so familiar to me. I knew I had heard it before somewhere... but where?

Suddenly, my status window popped up, almost on queue.

Name: Reid Sord (Evan Langford)

Oh yeah that's the one...

My eyes immediately widened as I figured out what this meant.

WAIT! HOLD ON! THAT'S MY NAME! DOES SOMEBODY HERE KNOWS ME!?!

My head snapped around as soon as I figured out that the voice was calling me, and I saw a young girl standing before me, her long, ragged cloak trailing in the dirt. Despite her disheveled appearance, her beauty was striking - her silver hair fell in soft waves around her face, and her bright blue eyes gleamed like stars. Was she, like me, a silver daemon?

"Reid!" With a sharp cry, she sprinted to me, her face lighting up with joy but she was frail, and I watched as she almost fell, I quickly dashed forward to catch her. Without a word, she clung to me, her tears drenching my shirt.

Under normal circumstances I would've just not cared and carried on, but not when someone is looking for a shoulder to cry on.

Though my instincts were telling me to run away, since if she is someone who knows the original person of this body I'm possessing, then talking with her would be the worst option to do, but I'm also not someone who wouldn't normally stop for a crying woman, but something about her made me pause. She buried her face in my chest and sobbed, her small frame fitting perfectly under my chin.

Though my instinct told the best course of action was to run, I still couldn't bring myself to leave her alone in her distress. As she pressed her tear-stained face into my chest, I realized just how petite she was - the top of her head barely reached my collarbone.