Chapter - 10

Once inside the classroom, the atmosphere was heavy with tension. As the students settled into their seats, Yeon-hwa's mind was still reeling from the loss of Miss Park. Her heart felt heavy, burdened not only by grief but also by the news she had received about Yeong-hoon. She had believed he had gone home due to an injury, only to discover that he had already fallen victim to the spheres.

Yeon-hwa sat at her desk, staring blankly ahead, unable to process the weight of the losses she had experienced in such a short span of time.

Park So-yoon stood up abruptly, her voice filled with frustration. "I'm going home. I can't stay here any longer." She began removing her gear and walked over to her locker, determined to pack her belongings and leave.

Hong Jun-hee followed suit, echoing So-yoon's sentiments. "Yeah, what's the point of staying here? We should be with our families, protecting each other."

Wu Hee-rak rose from his seat as well, his voice tinged with anger. "They just want us to keep fighting those things, don't they?"

Yoo Ha-na joined the chorus of dissent, her voice filled with frustration and desperation. "I don't care about college or getting extra points for CSAT anymore. None of it matters. I just want to get out of here."

Bo-ra turned to calm Ha-na down. "Will you think before you act? Don't just pack your bags right away."

But Ha-na pushed her away, her emotions overpowering reason. "I can't think anymore! This whole situation is insane! We should just leave!"

The sentiments spread like wildfire, and soon more students began packing their bags, ready to abandon the perceived safety of the school. Lieutenant Lee entered the classroom, his gaze stern and commanding.

"Sit," he commanded, his voice cutting through the chaos. The students glanced at him, their expressions torn between defiance and resignation. "Sit!" he raised his voice, the authority in his tone leaving no room for negotiation. "Take your seats first."

Reluctantly, the students made their way back to their seats, their eyes filled with a mix of anger, fear, and confusion. Lieutenant Lee stood before them, his voice measured but firm.

"It's dangerous outside," he stated, his gaze sweeping across the room. "School is the safest place for now."

So-yoon scoffed, her voice laced with bitterness. "Safe? Our homeroom teacher died. And we heard Yeong-hoon died too. How can you call this place safe?" Hearing that stung like salt on a wound for Yeon-hwa.

Lieutenant Lee's gaze hardened, his words cutting through the room like a knife. "Being protected by someone else doesn't guarantee safety. You have to learn to protect yourselves. This school is here to train you for that purpose."

Hee-rak's voice cracked as he spoke up, his vulnerability showing. "But you saw us. We can't even shoot a gun properly. How can we protect ourselves? Just send us home."

Soon-yi's voice followed, pleading for an escape. "Please, Lieutenant Lee. Let us go home. We'll stay put there. We'll be safe, right? I want to go home."

Lieutenant Lee sighed, his gaze filled with a mix of understanding and determination. "Alright, let's say you went home. What if the spheres attack your homes? What will you do then?" His question hung in the air, silencing the class. "The night training will be held as scheduled. Better get ready for it."

With those words, Lieutenant Lee swiftly exited the classroom, leaving the students to grapple with their conflicting emotions and the weight of the decisions before them.

The room fell into a heavy silence, the air thick with uncertainty. Just then Young-shin's voice cut through the stillness.

"Despite what the platoon commander said, some of you might still want to go home," He said then raised from his seat. "I think we should either all go together or all stay together. I think nothing will come out of it if we don't come to an agreement."