Chapter - 29

The morning unfolded in the muted palette of late autumn, the landscape denuded of its once-vibrant hues. Leafless trees cast delicate shadows beneath the soft sunlight, and the air held a crisp bite, foretelling the imminent winter. The students, swathed in layers against the chill, gathered in the courtyard, where nature's retreat took center stage.

Gone were the reds and golds of fall, replaced by a quiet interplay of brown and gray that dominated the scene. Against this backdrop, Yu-jeong took the center stage, her voice cutting through the stillness with instructions for the day's tasks.

"The raiding party for Squad One: Kim Yu-jeong, Jo Jang-soo, Wang Tae-man, Yeon Bo-ra, Jo Young-shin, No Ae-sol, Park So-yoon, Wu Hee-rak, and Shin Yeon-hwa.

Squad Two's Search Team: Do Soo-cheol, Cha So-yeon, Choi Yeon-ju, Kook Young-soo, Lee Na-ra, Kim Chi-yeol, Kwon Il-ha, and Yoo Ha-na.

Squad One's Raiding Party will go to the penitentiary and find the parts for the radio. Then on your way back, take care of the spheres that the detector picked up.

Squad Two's Search Team will go to the hospital to collect medicine and other supplies we need.

Those who will stay and stand guard are Kim Deok-joong, Lee Soon-yi, and Hong Jun-hee. All good?" The crisp air held the weight of the day's tasks, and with collective nods, the students went through the assignments once again.

"I want to join the raiding party," So-yeon said, stepping forward.

Yu-jeong, however, met her request with a measured refusal. "You're hurt. Just join the search team today,"

"Can't she and No Ae-sol swap their positions? Why do you keep sending No Ae to the raiding party?" Bo-ra's inquiry carried a hint of accusation.

Young-shin, quick to defend, interjected, "Hey, Ae-sol knows how to hit the mark. She can shoot better than you. You're too impatient."

"What?"

"I can join the raiding party. It's fine," Ae-sol, not one for confrontation, simply addressed Yu-jeong.

A soft smile from Yu-jeong acknowledged Ae-sol's willingness. Then, Soo-cheol, perhaps inspired by the unfolding scenes, expressed his desire to join the raiding party as well.

"I want to join the raiding party too, not the search team."

Yu-jeong, however, had different plans for him. "You still have a cold. The raiding party already has enough members. You were in the raiding party for a whole month. You're overworked. Join the search team today."

"Goodness. This is all pointless. If things go south, we'll all be in danger," Hee-rak, from the back, commented.

"Exactly." Yu-jeong rallied her classmates with a motivational tone. "Don't let your guard down. Let's stay focused, guys."

The students, with shared determination, voiced their agreement. Yet, amid the motivation, Chi-yeol brought attention to a certain absentee.

"By the way... I don't see Ha-na?" he asked reluctantly. A collective sigh echoed, knowing all too well Ha-na's penchant for avoiding responsibilities.

"I'll go get her."

Deok-joong volunteered to retrieve her and disappeared into the building. Moments passed, and when he returned, his expression conveyed a mix of hurt and understanding.

"Ha-na's sick," he announced.

Eyebrows were raised, eyes rolled, and heads shook in a mix of disbelief and resignation. So-yoon couldn't help but comment, "And you believed her? Her acting is so awkward. Goodness."