Chapter - 26

"Are you saying they exchanged signals?"

In the dimly lit meeting room, Lieutenant Lee, accompanied by Sergeant Won-bin, addressed the gathered platoon members. The tension in the room was palpable as the students processed the information about the spheres' movements.

Na-ra, her expression serious, spoke up first. "We're not exactly sure, but a giant sphere gave out light in the sky."

Chi-yeol chimed in with a serious expression, "Then a boss sphere emitted light as well. After that, they went somewhere."

"It seemed like they were communicating," Na-ra added, her words hanging in the air, filled with uncertainty.

"So they are showing a pattern where a few go somewhere and come back after exchanging signals." Won-bin wondered out loud.

Yeon-hwa's mind raced, trying to grasp the implications. Her usually confident and strong demeanor wavered as she voiced her thoughts, "Maybe they are looking for something. I think they are-"

Lieutenant Lee finished her sentence, his voice steady but tinged with concern, "Scouting."

The word echoed in the room, and the students exchanged puzzled glances, searching for understanding. "Scouting?" some of them repeated, unsure of the implications.

Lieutenant Lee nodded, his eyes filled with the burden of knowledge, "Yes, it's as if they are scouting."

"They're checking where people went. They're smarter than we think." Young-shin added his insight.

Na-ra leaned down towards the map spread across the table, her finger tracing lines, trying to find an exact location. The others leaned in closer, their eyes fixed on the map, their curiosity piqued.

"Here," Na-ra pointed, her voice almost a whisper. "They went somewhere around here and came back."

"What's there?" Lieutenant Lee asked, his eyes narrowed in focus, trying to remember.

Ji-min, the girl they rescued, spoke up, her voice tinged with a sense of knowledge, "I heard a shelter was there. Our platoon commander said so. A small-sized shelter."

The realization of the spheres' intentions hit the platoon like a cold gust of wind. Deok-joong spoke with a frown, "Then does it mean they got an order from the giant sphere and decided on a nearby shelter as their next target?"

The room fell silent, the weight of the situation sinking in. Yeon-hwa's eyes widened in realization, her mind connecting the dots and realizing the dire implications of the spheres targeting another shelter.

"Because it has a lot to prey on," she concluded, the realization hitting her hard.

"Pardon?" Tae-man inquired, seeking clarity.

"People gathered to find shelter, but it ended up becoming a place full of prey," Lieutenant Lee explained grimly. "And it got much easier for the spheres."

Fear and apprehension filled the room as the platoon members absorbed the reality of the situation. Won-bin expressed their next concern, "We better inform them quickly, but the communications are down. What do we do?"

Lieutenant Lee took a moment to contemplate the situation before facing the students with a look of resolve, "We will withdraw tomorrow morning as planned."

Yeon-hwa's eyes widened with concern, and she couldn't hold back her emotions, "But what about that shelter?"

"The spheres are too many," Lieutenant Lee responded, his tone carrying the weight of his responsibility. "Let's return as soon as possible and come up with another way."