Chapter - 24

Yeon-hwa moved alongside Lieutenant Lee and Young-soo, their eyes scanning the surroundings for any signs of the lurking spheres. They had split into small groups, each tasked with searching and eliminating the spheres in their designated areas.

Their footsteps were light and cautious, trying not to make a sound as they moved through the desolate streets. The tension in the air was palpable, and their senses were on high alert, ready to respond to any threat.

As they turned another corner, they spotted a group of spheres lurking near a crumbling building. With a nod of understanding, they split into position, taking cover behind the walls nearby. Yeon-hwa aimed her gun at the nearest sphere, her breath steady despite the adrenaline coursing through her veins.

The spheres seemed unaware of their presence, busy with their own eerie movements. Yeon-hwa glanced at Lieutenant Lee and Young-soo, both of them ready and waiting for a cue to strike.

Lieutenant Lee raised his hand, and in unison, they pulled the triggers. Gunshots rang through the air as the spheres reacted to the sudden assault.

Two of the spheres were hit and went down, but one managed to escape, scurrying away with uncanny speed. Yeon-hwa, Lieutenant Lee, and Young-soo wasted no time and gave chase. They pursued the fleeing sphere through the winding alleys, firing shots at it while on the run.

However, the sphere's agility was remarkable, and it managed to elude their shots as it weaved through the abandoned streets. The chase was intense, and their hearts pounded in their chests, their determination unwavering.

Despite their best efforts, the sphere seemed to vanish into thin air, leaving them standing in the silent streets. Yeon-hwa's grip on her gun tightened in frustration, but there was no time to dwell on the loss. They needed to carry on with their mission.

Just as they were about to retrace their steps, they heard rapid footsteps approaching from the opposite direction. Yeon-hwa and her team instinctively raised their guns, ready for another encounter with the spheres.

Another sphere appeared and it was quickly shot down from the other side by Young-shin and Yeon-ju.

"What happened?" Lieutenant Lee asked, his voice barely above a whisper.

"We got one," Young-shin replied, looking tense.

"We just lost one," Young-soo interjected, pointing in the direction where the sphere disappeared to.

They all checked the sphere detector again, hoping that the spheres had moved away, but the readings still remained strong.

"They're still around," Yeon-hwa stated, her face grave.

Lieutenant Lee suddenly gestured for them to stop and be silent. He listened intently to their surroundings, and then he looked up. Their eyes followed his gaze, and they saw some spheres on a nearby rooftop.

Without hesitation, the spheres hurled a satellite dish from the rooftop, aiming it directly at the group down. The group quickly moved out of the way, narrowly avoiding the deadly projectile.

The platoon members reacted swiftly, raising their weapons to shoot down the spheres. But the spheres were just as fast, disappearing into the shadows before they could be hit.

"Damn it!" Young-shin cursed under his breath, frustration evident in his voice.

"We can't let them get away," Yeon-hwa said, her determination fueled by the close call.

The group decided to continue their search, their senses heightened even further. The spheres seemed to be toying with them, appearing and disappearing with calculated precision.