Chapter - 38

The gentle sound of waves lapping against the shore created a serene backdrop. The rhythmic cadence of the ocean waves, a lullaby to the deserted beach, guided Yeon-hwa's solitary stroll along the sandy shores of the amusement park.

The moon, a silent spectator overhead, cast an ethereal glow on the abandoned landscape, lending an otherworldly charm to the desolate landscape. The gentle whispers of the night breeze harmonized with the rhythmic melody of the sea.

However, this tranquil ambiance was abruptly shattered as Yeon-hwa heard Il-ha's panicky voice calling out to So-yeon. She looked ahead and saw the scene unfold—a chilling disruption to the peaceful night.

Kook Young-soo, his silhouette etched against the moonlit beach, stood over Kwon Il-ha, a small rock in hand. The sharp crack as the rock collided with Il-ha's head echoed louder than the waves, breaking the calm that had enveloped the amusement park.

Driven by instinct, Yeon-hwa's pace quickened as she approached the scene. The sand beneath her feet seemed to absorb the tension in the air, creating an uneven terrain mirroring the turmoil in her mind. Her eyes widened in shock as she noticed Young-soo inching towards his discarded rifle on the ground.

Without a moment's hesitation, she drew her rifle, the metal cold against her trembling hands. Never in her life had she ever thought that one of their own, someone very familiar, would pose a threat in such a manner. The moonlight danced on the barrel as she aimed it at Young-soo, who stood still with his hand hovering over his rifle.

"Back off from that weapon, Kook Young-soo!" Her voice sliced through the night air, a command that carried the weight of disbelief and anger. Il-ha clutched his head, his gaze oscillating between Yeon-hwa and Young-soo. He tried to get to his feet, ignoring the loud ringing in his ears, but the world spun around him as he fell to the ground unconscious.

The tension in the air thickened as Yeon-hwa maintained her focus on Young-soo, her eyes narrowing in suspicion. "What in the world is happening here, Kook Young-soo? Explain yourself," she demanded, her voice steady despite the turmoil within.

Young-soo's eyes darted nervously between the rifle in Yeon-hwa's hands and the two unconscious figures beside him. "Yeon-hwa, y–you have to believe me. It's not what it looks like," He slowly raised his hand and stepped back, trying his very best to conceal the nervousness he felt.

"Save the excuses. What did you do to them?" Yeon-hwa's voice was stern, her finger tensing on the trigger.

"I didn't do anything!" He yelled as his desperation heightened, his eyes darting around the desolate beach as if searching for an escape. "I saw... I saw Il-ha– So-yeon... he was..."

"Stop fumbling with your words and get to the point," Yeon-hwa demanded, her gaze unwavering. The stark contrast between the moonlit tranquility and the chaos unfolding at her feet intensified the gravity of the situation.

Young-soo took a shaky breath, attempting to regain control over the narrative. "I was taking a stroll along here and I... I found Il-ha... I don't know why, but So-yeon was unconscious. I–I found Il-ha kissing her. He was harassing her. I–I had to protect her. Yeon-hwa, you know how Il-ha can be. Believe me. I was just trying to save So-yeon from this fucker!"

Yeon-hwa's brows furrowed in disbelief. "You're lying! Il-ha might have his flaws, but he wouldn't do something like that. Tell me the truth!"

A bitter laugh escaped Young-soo's lips. "Yeon-hwa, you, of all people, defending him? Did you forget how he bullied Yeong-hoon? Did you forget that this bastard caused Yeong-hoon's death?"

Yeon-hwa's expression hardened. "This is not about that, Young-soo. I need the truth."

A wicked glint appeared in Young-soo's eyes, and his demeanor shifted. "Truth? You think you're so much better than the rest of us, don't you?" Young-soo spat out, his resentful gaze locking onto Yeon-hwa. "You, with your wealth, your perfect life, and your superiority complex. I've always seen it, how you look down on everyone."