Chapter - 14

The car lurched forward, its wheels spinning as it regained traction on the road. The students held on tightly, their hearts pounding in their chests. Thoughts of their other classmates and the abandoned cars behind them weighed heavily on their minds. The silence inside the vehicle was suffocating, interrupted only by the sound of heavy breathing and the occasional sniffle.

Lost in their thoughts and overwhelmed by a mix of relief and worry, some students couldn't help but let tears stream down their faces. The gravity of the situation began to sink in, and the realization that they had left behind friends and classmates filled them with a deep sense of guilt and uncertainty.

Yeon-hwa, seated beside the weakened So-yeon, gently held her hand, offering what little comfort she could. So-yeon's pale face was etched with pain, her breathing labored. Yeon-hwa's heart ached for the girl, knowing that time was slipping away and they needed help soon.

"I wonder if the shelter is alright," Jang-soo said, voicing over everyone's concerns. "The shelter our parents are in."

Soon-yi started weeping at the mention of parents, calling her mother's name repeatedly. Jun-hee told her to shut up as her constant cries became annoying to some.

Hee-rak, still shaken from the close encounter with death, voiced his confusion, "Gosh, I must be crazy. I'm dead scared but dead sleepy at the same time." His eyelids drooped, and exhaustion tugged at his senses.

"Well, me too," Tae-man responded with a tired smile. "Is it because I feel relaxed now?"

Silence engulfed the car once more as the weight of their uncertain fate settled upon them. Each passing second seemed to stretch into eternity, their minds consumed by thoughts of the friends they had left behind.

Just as a semblance of calm settled within the car, chaos erupted once again. The car swerved violently, its tires screeching as it skidded to the corner of the road, overturned.

Panic and fear gripped the students as a sphere emerged from the front, its menacing presence a haunting reminder of the peril they were still in.

Frantically, the students fumbled for their weapons, their hands shaking with adrenaline. Gunfire erupted as they unleashed a barrage of bullets, desperately trying to repel the sphere's advance in the confined space. The car rocked from the impact, adding to the chaos and confusion that ensued.

With trembling hands and racing hearts, the students managed to scramble out of the overturned car and shoot the sphere. "Is everyone okay?" Young-shin asked, panting as he looked at them.

"Hold on," So-yoon stood up abruptly. "Where is So-yeon and Yeon-hwa?" Their eyes widened in terror as they realized Yeon-hwa and So-yeon were still inside, trapped and vulnerable.

Frantically, they peered inside the wreckage, hearts pounding with dread. Inside, So-yeon was struggling to free herself, her face contorted in pain. Yeon-hwa lay unconscious, her body slumped against the seat.

The students acted swiftly, their hands gentle yet urgent as they worked to extricate their injured friends from the wreckage. So-yeon's condition worsened, her pain evident in her face. She was bleeding severely.

"Tae-man, help me with Yeon-hwa!" Jang-soo called out, his voice laced with worry. Together, they carefully lifted Yeon-hwa's limp form out of the car and laid her on the ground. The students huddled around her, their faces etched with concern.

As the students panicked and desperately tried to wake Yeon-hwa up, anxiety and worry filled the air. Tae-man gently shook her shoulders while Jang-soo tapped her cheek, calling out her name with increasing urgency. The others gathered around, their faces etched with concern.