Chapter 14 - Don't Tell the Truth

"How about we go downstairs and talk at the kitchen nook's table?"

Sarah looked up at her dad in the doorway of her bedroom, her mom standing behind behind him. Both their faces looked grim and worn. Neither of them had bothered changing out of their suits yet. Her mother's sleeves were rolled up, and her father's tie was untied, dangling like a sweat towel around his neck. Her mother's blonde hair was in a loose pony-tail, and her father's light brown hair was ruffled up. They looked how Sarah felt.

Sarah and her mother nodded, but the atmosphere didn't relax. Sarah's mother led the way downstairs, almost staggering under her weight. Her father gestured for Sarah to go, and she did reluctantly, her father following. Sarah wanted to go last to avoid feeling watched, but she knew better than to protest.

Sarah could tell they had talked long about this previously, during their car ride home. Her mother hadn't talked much, but her father knew all the concerns that needed to be discussed and led the conversation.

"So," he began. "The last time we checked, it was 1 a.m., and you were still not home." He folded his hands together like he was interviewing a potential employee. "We're glad you came home at some point, safe and sound. But you should've told us. Preferably as soon as you found out you'd be home late, so we can discuss why that's necessary. But at least a phone call."

Sarah nodded, staring down at her hands in her lap. The last time she was in this much trouble was when she was six and knocked over a lamp when playing a sword fighting game with her imaginary friend. She swallowed.

"What happened?" he asked when she didn't start talking.

The guilt had grown and tangled in an uncomfortable knot in the pit of her stomach, by now. It felt like a brick in her gut. She fidgeted with her hands, but she tried to make eye contact, so she'd seem honest. "I went to study in the forest. My phone died, so I started going home. But at that point, it was getting dark, and I got lost. I met one of my classmates, and he helped me get back home."

Her parents exchanged looks.

"You..." her mother said. "You didn't mention a classmate this morning."

Sarah nodded. "I know; I'm sorry. I guess I was still half asleep."

"And, that's all that happened," her dad said calmly. "Nothing else happened. He didn't hurt you in any way? No one else did, either?"

Sarah shook her head. "No, nothing else happened." She wished she could tell them the truth, but Michael made it very clear that the spirit world should be kept a secret. "I'm fine, and I'm sorry for worrying you so much. I tried to call you several times."

"I do have a missed call or two," her mother said. "No messages though."

Sarah swallowed.

Her dad sighed and shifted in his seat. "Look, hon, you're a good kid. So honestly, your mom and I haven't really been strict about curfew or any rules like that, since you've been doing that naturally." He scratched his shoulder. "But this...? This changes things. This is unacceptable. We were worried sick. We didn't sleep well. You probably didn't sleep well. We're assuming you didn't eat dinner. It was a school night, but even if it was the weekend or during a break, we still want to know where our daughter is."

Sarah's mother nodded and wiped her eyes.

Sarah's own eyes burned with tears, and she nodded, blinking and glaring down at her hands.

"So, I donno. Don't parents punish their kids for doing stuff like this? Like, grounding for — uh, how long are kids grounded for?" He turned to his wife. He whispered, like Sarah wouldn't hear, "Would grounding even be a punishment for her?"