Chapter 24 - Don't Call Yourself a 'What'

As soon as Sarah walked into her room, she changed out of the dress she wore to church and put a hoodie and shorts on. She tackled her bed and pulled out her phone. Before she could finish her text, Julie texted first.

JULIE: Oh good, you're typing! Girl, we need to talk. There's a rumor at school that you and Michael are dating. I told them to F off.

Sarah buried her warm face in her pillow.

SARAH: Not dating, but I think you're right. I do 100000% have a crush on Michael.

JULIE: Ah, I knew it! Are you free? Can I call you or come over?

Sarah responded by calling her.

"Saraahhhh! Man, I've missed you."

"I've missed you, tooo," Sarah responded in an equally sing-songy voice. "And you can come over, but can we talk on the phone while you're getting here?"

"Hell yes."

Sarah frowned. She sounded a bit teary-eyed? Maybe she's ready to talk about Gabriel? "You okay, Jules?"

"Yes, sorry, I am." Julie sniffled. "I think this is just my period, but I was nervous you were avoiding me."

That tugged at Sarah's heart. "No, definitely not!!" She sat up on her knees. "I'm so sorry, Julie. I never meant to make you feel like that. If something is bothering you, tell me. I promise it's probably me just being busy or tired and not noticing."

"Okay, I will. If something is bothering you, please tell me. Especially if it's something I did."

Sarah laughed. "Ditto." She hopped off her bed and went downstairs to unlock the door. "Door's unlocked for ya."

"Okay, sounds good." Julie covered her phone, and Sarah could hear a muffled conversation between her and maybe her mom? "Okay, Mom wouldn't let me borrow the car, so I have to use my bike. I'll be there in a second."

"See you in a bit!"

"Was that Julie? We haven't seen her in a while. Did you two get in a fight?"

Sarah glanced over at her mom on the couch. Her mother had put a finger in the book she was reading and took a sip of her soda.

Sarah shook her head. "No, we didn't. Just got busy. But she's coming over now!"

"Aw good. You two are like sisters; I'd hate to see you not get along anymore."

Sarah smiled, rolling her eyes fondly. "Don't worry; that'll never happen."

Her phone buzzed.

MICHAEL: Hey, can I call you?

Sarah quickly went upstairs, slow enough to not cause suspicion but fast enough to not have Michael wait up on her. She called him.

"Hey, Sarah."

Her heart fluttered at him saying her name. "Hi, Michael." Was that too high? My voice sounded high.

"So, I talked to Andrea, and she said the sword should be done tonight, but if it's okay, could we go tomorrow after school? I need to do something for my mom tonight."

"Yeah, sounds good. I can't do tonight either!"

"Homework?" Michael asked. A smile peeked through in his voice.

"Nope, Julie's coming over." Sarah flipped her hair even though he couldn't see it. "I already did my homework, Mr. Tutor Sir."

"So proud. Okay, cool, have fun. Talk to ya tomorrow. Oh, and Sarah?"