Chapter 27 - Pick Up Jade Eye

"Hey, Jenn." Sarah walked over to Jenn's locker. "Guess what I found!"

Jenn blinked. "No, seriously?? My grandmother's necklace?"

Sarah nodded, holding it up. "I think so! I found this in the Lost and Found; is this it?" she asked, like she didn't know.

Jenn beamed, taking it. "Oh, thank you so much!" She put it on and hugged Sarah. "I gotta get to class, but seriously, thank you."

Sarah grinned, waving, and slipped into her class. She locked eyes on Michael, and he pulled off his backpack that was in the chair next to his. Her heart skipped a beat as she took the seat. She waved shyly at him, and he quirked an eyebrow but waved back.

"Feeling better?"

Sarah nodded. "Thanks for walking me home last night. Sorry my parents ambushed you about tutoring schedules..."

Michael shrugged. "It's fine. We probably should start doing that though. You can't help me if you're studying all winter and summer break."

She laughed nervously, but she agreed. She looked up when the teacher came in. She brightened, seeing Mr. Clay instead of the substitute. She glanced over at Michael to see his reaction, but he was stiff.

"Hello, class," Mr. Clay's stern voice rang out. The class settled down into their seats. "I'm so sorry I haven't been here lately. I know a week has passed in my absence. I had a terrible flu and deemed it unnecessary to come get you all sick." Mr. Clay smiled, but there were bags under his eyes. Sarah frowned. He looks terrible. What did the Huntress do to him? She glanced at Michael again, and he and Mr. Clay seemed to be having a mental conversation. Mr. Clay looked uncertain and then away. Michael shifted in his seat, not enjoying his win in their staring contest.

"However, I am getting older, and I'm using this opportunity to resign. It's been wonderful having you all. I put in my two weeks' notice into the principal's office this morning. Let's just enjoy this class together, and you're all invited to my going away party, held in the school's gymnasium. Miss Daisy will become your full-time teacher."

Sarah nodded weakly; she liked Mr. Clay and didn't want him to leave. She guessed he was probably going to move his family somewhere safe.

The class burst into chaos, asking him questions and complaining loudly, and a note landed on Sarah's desk. She opened it.

'Do you have some time after school? Let's go to his office hours before going to Andrea's.'

Sarah looked at Michael and nodded. He gave a thumbs up before turning back to their class.

"Ah, Mr. O'Laughin, Miss Williams, what can I do for you?" Mr. Clay asked warmly, peeking up from behind a stack of papers to grade through.

The two sauntered into his office. Michael spoke first, while Sarah closed the door. "I wanted to let you know I'll be tutoring Sarah."

"Oh, splendid. Sorry, Miss Williams. I dropped the ball on that. I do have some extra credit opportunities for you, as well. I think it'll help you learn, as well as pick up your grades."

Sarah nodded, settling into the seat next to Michael's. "Thank you; I appreciate that."

Michael glanced back to make sure the door was closed and turned back to Mr. Clay. "She knows, John."

Sarah blinked, looking at Michael. She knew Michael must know their teacher pretty well, if he knew about Mr. Clay being married to a spirit, but it still caught her off-guard for him to call their teacher by his first name so casually.

"Ah, I see." Mr. Clay sighed, settling back in his chair. "Are you the Sarah that Andrea made the sword for?"

Sarah nodded.