Chapter 22 - Don't Get Stuck Between a Bee and a Hard Place

Sarah marched back to Michael under the tree. She panted heavily by the time she got to him. "I got the potion," she wheezed out.

Michael looked up from his phone when he heard her. He stood up and dusted his pants off. "Oh, yeah, I forgot to warn you about the distance illusion spells."

Sarah grunted a dismissal, her hands on her knees.

"C'mon. Danny's supposed to meet us at the bottom of the—"

A fly buzzed around them and suddenly yelled out, delighted, "Actually, I'm here!" It grew larger and taller. The eyes got smaller and more-human like, and the wings disappeared. Clothes flung out of the skin before becoming the proper color of a T-shirt, jeans, and sneakers.

Michael raised an eyebrow. "You were supposed to meet us at the—. How early did you get here?"

"Oh, just a few minutes ago." Danny grinned sheepishly.

That almost impish grin was the same one he'd use when he told the teacher he finished his homework, but left it on the bus, his little sister drew on it, or it got wet in the rain.

Sarah eyed him, but Michael seemed to buy it. "Ah, okay. Well, you two, have fun."

"Okay! Say 'hi' to Andrea for me! And tell her thank you!" Sarah beamed. She jumped up and down, excited as Michael turned away. She leaned over and whispered to Danny to explain, "I'm gonna get a sword."

Danny eyed her, amused, but with a look in his eyes that said 'And that's something you're excited about?'

Sarah couldn't stop grinning, and in a second, Danny wrapped his arm around her shoulder and gave her a half hug. He laughed. "Oh, hey, Mikey, you want a lift down? It's a long walk."

Michael stiffened, glaring at him. "It's just Michael," he hissed.

Danny frowned and pulled away from Sarah, who had almost gotten used to the hug and stumbled back. "Okay, sor-ry. Offer still stands though."

"I'm fine. Focus on the powder." He hesitated, but added, "Good luck."

"Thanks, but I don't think we'll need it." Danny winked. "Sarah and I are a forget-me dust—getting machine!"

"I was talking to Sarah."

Sarah snorted back a laugh, and Michael nodded approvingly before turning wolf and scampering down the hill. Sarah watched him as long as she could. He moved so much faster in wolf form. When they were climbing up, was he going slowly to match Sarah's pace? She felt touched and wanted to give him another hug.

"Why're you smiling like that?" Danny teased, "He wasn't that funny."

Sarah snapped out of her thoughts and glanced at Danny. She realized she was smiling. And blushing. She cleared her throat. "It was, a little. C'mon, dust-getting machine." She grinned and pulled on his arm to the entrance of the steep path down the hill.

Danny grinned. "Nah, we're gonna go in style."

"Do I wanna know what that mea—whoah."

Black scales pierced through Danny's quickly disappearing clothes. He doubled over, falling forward on all fours, his legs and arms thickening with hundreds of shimmering scales. His knuckles and toes grew longer and sharper. Sarah's eyes pulled away from the mighty claws, when something large and dark burst out from his back. Sarah fell back in surprise. Huge wings with a horn on top blocked the sunlight from her view. Up his very long neck, horns and scales covered his long snout, fangs peeking out.

"Cool, right?" Danny's voice was smooth, slinky, but deep. It rumbled from his thick throat.

Sarah smiled, craning her neck up to see. His green eyes still looked like Danny's. "Yeah! Nice to meet you, Danny Dragon."