Chapter 26 - Get Comfort at Ruby's Diner

Sarah studied the building in front of her. The double-door entrance had rectangular windows and was surrounded by brick walls painted in strips - red, gray, and cream. The LED sign on the top of the metal roof read in beautiful cursive letters - "Ruby's Diner." The whole sign lit up in bright, pink lettering. The light popped out against the night sky and reflected off the roof.

Sarah looked back down at her phone and checked her texts for the fiftieth time in the last hour. Earlier, she had texted Michael that she really needed to meet him in person, and he responded with 'Meet me at Ruby's Diner.'

This must be it. Sarah knew Michael wouldn't be happy about her going into the spirit world by herself, and she knew a lecture or at least a scolding was coming. She couldn't stop trembling either, and she guessed that was a result of almost being a slave forever.

Sarah trudged inside, the bell ringing as she did. She glanced around to look for Michael hunched over in a booth in a corner somewhere. Not seeing him, she sighed and went to the counter to wait for him to get here. She sat on one of the high stools, turning to look every time the bell rang and a new customer walked in. After about five customers came in and still no sign of Michael, she texted him, 'I'm here. Are you on your way?' She tore out a napkin from a dispenser near her and began fiddling with it.

Someone came out from the back, startling Sarah. It wasn't Michael. He looked old enough for college, had messy short brown hair and slim blue eyes. He tried to take her order, but she shook her head, explaining she was waiting for a friend and didn't want to order yet.

"How about a cup of hot cocoa with some whipped cream? A lovely warm beverage for a lovely girl." He winked.

She shook her head, too nervous to notice what he was saying. "No, thank you."

"Alright, if you're sure. Can I help with anything else? How about I write my number on that napkin you're wrangling?"

Sarah shook her head. "Wouldn't stop me anyway. Thanks though."

He stiffened, huffing. "Fine. You're waiting for your boyfriend, aren't you?"

She froze. Why does everyone call him that. "No, Michael and I aren't dating," she mumbled.

His eyes widened, but he went in the back and finally left her alone.

She looked down at her napkin, but it was hardly recognizable as a napkin by now. She brushed the torn pieces into a neat pile to throw away later. She tore out a new napkin.

Someone came out from the back, and she looked up to tell him she's still waiting for a friend. But it was Michael.

He didn't wear a hoodie, but wore a shirt that said 'Ruby's Diner.' He had a waiter's fanny pack around his waist. Same straight, black hair, and same gorgeous, hazel eyes. He stuffed his phone in his jeans pockets, as her own phone dinged. She blinked and checked it. Michael had unnecessarily texted, 'Coming.'

"You work here?" Sarah asked. She clopped her mouth closed. Obviously, he works here.

Michael nodded. He glanced over his shoulder and sighed, turning back to her. "He's still watching," he mumbled. With a normal volume, he piped up politely, "May I take your order, ma'am?"

"Uhm," Sarah was startled. "I'll just take a water. Could I have a menu please?" She wanted to ask if the other waiter was a shifter, but Michael's eyes looked tense. He drummed his fingers on his notepad. He wanted her to wait. Sarah nodded and busied herself with looking at the menu he handed her.

"Did you have to bring Travis into this?" Michael asked, apparently deciding that it was safe to talk.

"Uh, who?"