Chapter Eighteen

Jack, the Guardians, and the children all come to a gliding halt on their sleds. They look up to see Pitch standing atop a building with a confident smile, while the clouds stir behind him. Monty, late to the party, comes running joyously past Jamie and the Guardians who stand in silence as they stare up at the sky.

"Whoa, yeaaaaaaaah!!!" Monty sees Pitch and makes a U-Turn. "Ahhhhhhhhhhhh!"

"You think a few children can help you? Against this!"

The Nightmare sandstorm descends from the sky. North draws his sword, but the weight of the blade pulls him down. He can barely stand. Jack and (Y/n) move to North's side as they look back at Jamie, noticing the concern on his face.

"They're just bad dreams, Jamie." (Y/n) said.

"And we'll protect you, mate."

"Aww, you'll protect them." Pitch started. "But who will protect you?" Jamie takes a moment to reflect while his friends look up at the sky in fear. Jack and (Y/n) look down, surprised, to see that Jamie has taken a position in front of them.

"I will."

Suddenly, Jamie's friends move to join him.

"I will."

"I will."

"And me."

"I-I'll try."

The Guardians are amazed and watch as the kids squeeze past them.

"Still think there's no such thing as the boogeyman?"

Pitch's wave of Nightmare sand snakes its way through town causing destruction wherever it goes and converges toward a single point as it heads straight toward the kids.

"I do believe in you. I'm just not afraid of you."

Jamie thrusts out his hand toward the Nightmare wave. His friends follow suit, just as the Nightmare sand smashes into them. As it makes contact, the black sand...bursts into streams of golden dreamsand.

"Whoa...whoaaaa!"

Everyone is amazed, hardly believing their eyes. Streams of Dreamsand swirl around the children. And then it's pandemonium. The Nightmares buck and jump as the sand makes its way past them. Pitch watches, aghast, as his precious Nightmares transform back into golden Dreamsand and make their way across town.

Tooth, amazed, watches as her wings suddenly flutter with a resurgence of strength and energy. She takes off and flies past the kids who cheer her on. "Yeah, Tooth Fairy! Whooaaa!"

North's eyes widen. He straightens his back and unsheathes his scimitars.

"Whoa, yeah!"

"No! Get them!" Pitch gives a signal and sends another wave of Nightmares toward the Guardians. "Do your jobs!"

The petite rabbit looks at himself, waiting to be transformed. "Oh yeah, come on, come on!" When suddenly he's pursued by a snarling Nightmare. "Oh, crikey!" Bunny takes off running.

North throws two snowglobes down to the ground, through which an army of yetis and elves emerge. "No way!" Bunny tries to scurry under a parked car to evade the attacking Nightmare, but he is snatched by his tail before he can get away.

"I'm just a bunny!" Suddenly, Bunny transforms back to his normal size and whips out his boomerangs while being held upside down. "G'day, mate!" Bunny kicks the Nightmare, flips into the air, and throws his boomerangs which slice through two more Nightmares, turning them to dust. Bunny drums his feet on the ground and an army of sentinel eggs suddenly rises up out of the earth. Caleb finds himself riding on top of one as they join the yetis and elves in battle.