Chapter 3

I picked Sarah up the next evening for our second date. As she stepped outside, I was instantly reminded of why I fell in love with her. She took my breath away.

Our date started off perfect. We went to Sarah's favorite diner and talked for hours about anything and everything. I relished every smile, every laugh that I coaxed out of her. We made plans for future dates, dreams of what our future could hold. I wanted all of it, as long I got to walk that path with Sarah by my side.

But as we left the diner, dark clouds rolled in, bringing a sudden downpour. We made a run for the car, giggling and soaked to the bone. As I started the engine, Sarah said softly, "Kiss me."

I turned to her, cupped her face in my hands, and kissed her slowly, tenderly. The rain drummed against the roof of the car as we lost ourselves in each other. I never wanted the moment to end.

But eventually we pulled apart, our foreheads resting against each other. Sarah sighed happily. "I could stay like this forever."

I smiled. "Me too." I leaned in to kiss her again...

And that's when everything changed. Out of nowhere, a truck came careening around the corner, sliding on the wet pavement directly toward us. I remember screaming Sarah's name...Then everything went black.

I woke to the sound of sirens, ambulances. Sarah lay unconscious beside me, blood trickling from a wound in her hair. I grabbed her hand and held on tight, praying she'd wake up. Our love story, just beginning, now hung in the balance. I vowed then and there that I'd fight for our future, if only she'd open her eyes once more.