Chapter 5

After a few more days in the hospital, Sarah was finally released. I drove her home and helped her inside, fussing over her the whole way. She laughed and brushed me off, but I could tell she appreciated my care.

We spent the next few weeks taking it easy. I stayed over frequently, helping with chores and cooking her favorite meals. Sarah regained her strength slowly but surely, gradually moving from the couch to short walks around the block. I cherished our quiet time together, curled up watching movies and talking for hours.

Eventually Sarah was back to her old self, only a faint scar in her hair reminding us of what we had been through. Our relationship had changed though - we were closer than ever, more appreciative of every moment together.

One evening as I set the table for dinner, Sarah came up behind me and wrapped her arms around my waist. "I have something for you," she said, handing me a small box.

I opened it to find a key. I looked at her questioningly. "It's a spare key to my house," she said softly. "I want you to have it. I want you to finally move in with me. Officially."

I beamed at her. "Are you sure?"

She nodded. "I almost lost you. I don't want to waste another second."

I kissed her then, putting all my love into it. When we pulled apart, I held up the key. "In that case, I'd love to move in with you."

Sarah grinned. "I love you, so much."

"I love you too." I replied. Our future together had never been clearer.