Extra chapter 4

As our daughter grew into the "fun" terrible fours, Sarah and I found ourselves laughing more than ever. Our little girl's creativity, silliness and endless energy brought constant amusement.

One day she insisted on wearing three different tutus, two sunhats and a cape for a "fashion show" around the house. She paraded and twirled, hamming it up for an audience of rapt stuffed animals. Sarah and I clapped and cheered, thoroughly entertained.  

Another time our daughter spent hours playing with play dough, creating tiny sculptures of our "family." She proudly presented tiny dough grandparents, parents, herself and her new dough "baby sister." Sarah and I teared up at the thought of expanding our little family, even if it was dough for now.  

But no memory makes me laugh like the day our daughter decided she was a "chicken princess." She ran around the house clucking and flapping, making a beeline for any scraps she spotted on the floor. When a piece of bread escaped her grasp, she let out the most forlorn "bawk!"     

Sarah and I looked at each other and burst out laughing. Our daughter soon joined in too.  

Parenting in the terrible fours means embracing each new tiny personality quirk with patience, love and plenty of laughter. With each day our daughter grows more creative, confident and joyful - and  Sarah and I cherish the role we play in nurturing that.