Chapter 4

The beeping of the hospital machines filled the silence as I sat by Sarah's bedside, holding her hand. It had been two days since the accident, and she still had not woken up. The doctors said she had a severe concussion but no major physical injuries. Now it was a waiting game. 

I had barely left her side. I slept in the uncomfortable chair, only got up to use the bathroom and get coffee. I needed to be there when she woke up. I feared if I left, she might wake alone.

On the third day, I was dozing in my chair when I felt Sarah's hand squeeze mine. I opened my eyes to see her beautiful eyes gazing back at me, tired but aware. "Hey," I said softly, smiling through my tears.

"Hey," she whispered. She looked around, confused. I explained what happened, how we ended up in the hospital.She started to cry. "I'm so sorry. I never meant to scare you."

"You have nothing to apologize for," I assured her. I brushed the hair from her face and kissed her hand. "All that matters is that you're awake now."

She squeezed my hand again."You stayed," she said. "You took care of me."

"I'll always take care of you," I said. "I love you, Sarah. Nothing will ever change that."

She smiled, tears in her eyes. "I love you too."

We gazed at each other in silence, the beeping machines a reminder of how close we came to losing this. But we had our future back now, and I vowed to cherish every moment. Our love story would continue, and we'd walk its path together from this day forward.