Chapter 12

Aelia

It has been four days since I left home permanently. I am staying at Jake's for now. I was already planning on moving out. Mia and I planned on going to Springfield University, which is only two hours away from here, and we wanted to rent a small apartment close to it together.

We were not able to take all of my stuff the other day, so Jake and I are picking up the rest of it today. We hadn't been able to pick it up earlier because my father was home. I don't want to see him, not after everything that happened the other day. He is at work today, so all good.

"You have some letters on the table. I think you would want to read those first," my mom says, beaming.

I find a few letters from my grandmother. We write to each other every month since I learned how to read. She must be the sweetest grandmother in the world. My mother is a carbon copy of her, not just physically, they have the exact same personality. Always happy, looking for the best part in everything, and always wanting to make everyone happy. She lives far away, so we only see her once a year when she comes to visit for my mother's birthday. I really love writing to her. Her letters always make me laugh, especially those about her neighbor, with whom she always fights, or the handsome florist she has a crush on.

Under my grandmother's letter, I find the one letter I have been waiting for. A letter from Springfield University. It is the only place I have applied. It's not a very wise decision, I know, but it's the only place I want to go. Mia got hers about a week ago. She got in. My mouth feels suddenly dry, and my hands start sweating. I am scared to open it. I know I can't go anymore, at least not this year, but I still want it to be an acceptance letter.

"What is it?" Jake asks,

"Open it!" my mom shouts excitedly. "It's a letter from Springfield."

I open the letter, my heart racing. I read it. Then I read it again, just to make sure that I understood it and that I am not making words up.

"So...?" asks Jake. When I lift my head, I find both of them staring at me expectantly.

"I got in!"

My mom squeaks, and they both pull me into a hug, telling me that they are proud and that they knew I would get in. When they finally let go of me, I read it again. I am so happy right now. I got in! I'm going to S... oh my god, I totally forgot for a moment. I can't go. All the money saved for my university fees is in my father's name. All my mom's savings are in his name too. He made it clear that I would never see a cent of that money. But I don't care. I don't want anything from him anyway.

"It's okay, sweetheart, you can go next year," my mom says before pressing a kiss on my head.

"Yes, it's fine," I answer. "Let's go, we have a lot to do."

As soon as I graduate in a few days, I will find a job and start saving. I hope I will gather enough money until next year's intake.

We're sitting on the floor of my bedroom, eating lasagna in between piles of clothes, books, and other belongings. We have been packing for over two hours now. My mom gathered all of my things in my room, so it's easier. However, I can't bring all of my things to Jake's, so I have to choose what to take with me, what to keep here, and what to donate or throw away. That is not an easy task.

I am returning to my bedroom after taking the dishes to the kitchen when a voice startles me.

"What the fuck are you doing here?" he shouts.

"This is my mother's house, not yours. I have the right to be here," I answer calmly, shocking myself. I have always thought that I had a problem. I thought he was right to feel that way about me and to treat me like that. But after the other night, I realized that I was wrong. No father treats their daughter like that. No father would open their mouth to say such disgusting things to their daughter. The man standing in front of me is not a father, and I have no respect for him. I'm no longer afraid; I don't owe him anything, as I used to believe, and I'm not going to let him treat me like I'm nothing again.