Chapter 20

Jake

The room feels so empty right now. She's gone. She took all of her things and left. She did not give us another chance. I fucked up, I know I did, but she could have given me a chance to explain. I can't reach her; she must have blocked me everywhere. I tried not to ruin Brandon's party, so I said nothing to them that day. As soon as we reached our hotel room the next morning, I called the airline company, trying to find an earlier flight but failing. We got back here at one in the morning today, and I have been looking for her since, but nothing. Neither her mom nor Mia is telling me where she is, and I feel like ripping everyone's head off one by one until I finally find her. I have been sitting here on my bedroom floor for hours, and I still don't know what to do. I have searched every place I know and asked everyone I know, but no one is giving me the answer I need. I will find her, though. She can move to the other side of the world if she wants to, I will turn this whole world upside down to find her. I will find her and make things right.

"I think you've had enough drinks for today," Mia says, way too loudly, opening my bedroom door so wide that the light from outside invades my room. Bright. Too fucking bright.

"What do you want, Mia?"

"I am just checking on you, you could-"

"I'm fine. Now leave me the fuck alone."

"What the hell is wrong with you?"

"I'm not in the mood for your bullshit, Mia." I really am not in the mood for a speech right now. Yeah, I messed up. I know that, but the last thing I need right now is Mia telling me that I did. She opens the door wider and opens the windows, saying that the room is begging for some air. I let her do it, not wanting to fight her.

"Where is she?" I ask again, hoping that she will give me a real answer this time.

"You need to shower," she replies instead. "Don't look at me like that. I am not telling you where she is." she adds when she catches me staring at her. The more I look at her, the more I realize something.

"You are enjoying that, aren't you?"

"Enjoy what?" she asks.

"Seeing me suffer. You like seeing me this miserable. You've always warned me about not breaking your best friend's heart, but have you ever told her not to break your brother's heart?' I add. She stares down at me, her brows furrowed, and her lips pressed into a thin line. "Maybe you should have, because she ripped my fucking heart out."

"Are you serious right now?" She shouts, angry. As if I did not have the right to be hurt.

"I know that for you, I'm a cold-hearted bastard, but I am a human too, Mia. I have feelings too."

"I can't believe this," she laughs ironically, "you are hurt? She ripped your heart out, you said? How do you think she feels?"

"She could have listened to my explanation, we could have worked it out."

"Work it out? Are you fucking kidding me? What's your excuse? 'It was a mistake,' right? She should just take you back and forget that you have cheated on her, right?"

What the fuck is she talking about? "What do you mean 'cheated on her'?"

"Well, you tell me!"

"I have never cheated on her!"

"Then why did you tell her that you did?"

"Wait, is that why she broke up with me? She thinks I cheated?"

"Didn't you?"

"Where is she right now?"