VIII: Sandcastles

for·give·ness :

"Baptize me ... now that reconciliation is possible. If we're gonna heal, let it be glorious. 1,000 girls raise their arms. Do you remember being born? Are you thankful for the hips that cracked? The deep velvet of your mother and her mother and her mother? There is a curse that will be broken."

_ _ _

Tayla paced back and forth in her office as Symphani sat on top of her desk watching her friend lose her mind slowly.

"Girl... just take the test. What's the worst it can say? You pregnant?" Tayla stopped pacing and looked at her friend with no expression on her face wondering if she was serious or not.

"You not serious?" She stared at her friend who shrugged not understanding what the big deal is. "Yes, the worst it can say is I'm pregnant. I don't want to be."

"And why not, Tay? You a married woman who already got a daughter by your husband. It won't hurt to add another one to the pot, it's not like you fucked around with another man even though I would've liked you to get your lickback."

But it wasn't that.

She didn't mind growing a family with the man she been in love with since she was 19. She didn't mind having another child.

That would be her...thoughts if she didn't know her husband cheated on her in the bed she slept in under the roof they laid their daughter under.

She wouldn't have mind.

But she did.

The whole point of filing for a divorce was to leave him alone and split custody with him on weekends or three days every week depending on what it would come down to with a judge in court. Not pause the divorce just so she could have a peaceful nine months to fully be able to welcome in a second baby with her almost divorced husband who which she'd now have to take to court for two children.

It didn't seem like a fun scenario.

Chris and Tayla talked about having more kids only once after having Ayla since they didn't want their child growing up an only child and alone but they both knew it wouldn't have been as easy as it sounds.

But apparently that's not true.

Not until she takes the test.

"Take the test, girl." Symphani grabbed the clear blue pregnancy test out her bag and held it out waiting for her friend to grab it and go to the private bathroom in her office.

"What do I do if it comes back positive?" Tayla gently grabbed it from her and locked down at the box before back up at her friend. If it wasn't for Symphani buying one for her on the way to work....

"....That's up to you, Tay. Nobody's gonna be mad at whatever option you choose." She answered calmly making her sigh. She knew the last thing her best friend would want right now is another baby.

Tayla exhaled and let out a breath and finally took the pregnancy test out of her friend's hand walking into her bathroom with it, preparing herself for the worst.

-

"Daddy!" Ayla screamed while running into her father's arms who had a big smile on his face once she seen him. Chris decided to give his wife a break and pick up his daughter from her dance recital for the first time in over two months. Tayla usually would rush to pick her up from school, have Ayla change in the backseat as well as do her hair and then take her straight to dance which usually resulted in her dropping by his mom's for a few afterwards.