XXIII: Resentment

ac·ri·mo·ny:

"Mother says there are locked rooms inside all women; kitchen of lust, bedroom of grief, bathroom of apathy. Sometimes the men- they come with keys, and sometimes, the men - they come with hammers."

- - -

The room stood quiet as the two got ready. Tayla finished zipping up her jeans not noticing the pudge in her stomach that appeared out of nowhere. She didn't fail to notice her jeans were a bit snug on her slightly though.

Chris tied his sneakers and grabbed a hat trying on each one to see what went with his outfit.

His eyes darted to Tayla taking in her figure that popped up overnight. He noticed the baby bump, maybe someone that didn't quite know her wouldn't tell she was pregnant but it was obvious to him.

Their appointment was scheduled for Monday after their retreat so they could find out how far along she was.

In his mind, he figured she was already three or four months.

"...You got a bump." He spoke and she looked at her reflection in the mirror before turning sideways and taking in her figure.

"Didn't even notice." She answered back emotionless making him sigh.

The tension was high between them. It's day two into their retreat and it took a turn they wasn't expecting compared to yesterday. The two came into this happy with each other until this morning when they had their first therapy session.

They were scheduled for two in total followed by other bonding workshops.

Chris already told her whatever came out that they would talk about it with each other in a calmly manner but Tayla was good at avoiding a problem like she was good at avoiding a human and it was killing him.

He didn't like having her give him her back or one word answers.

And not to say he was the only one in the wrong but he was feeling it right now.

"You ready?" Tayla asked him with a blank face while standing by the door ready to leave. Chris sighed and shook his head.

"Nah, can we talk?"

"Chris, no. Let's go."

"Tay...we do shit on your time always but now we doing shit on my time."

"If you wanna be late fine, that's on you." She chuckled clearly annoyed as she walked to a chair in the room and sat down crossing one leg over the other.

"Baby, please. Drop the attitude so we can talk-"

"Is that not what we're doing?!"

"Aight, chill bro." He spoke more sternly making her huff. "You working yourself up and using all this energy to be mad at me and you got a right to do so but it ain't healthy for you or our baby."

Tayla sighed and pinched the bridge of her nose before looking at him trying to relax herself.

"Look...I apologize, love. I lied to you I did. But it was a one time thing that happened,"

"While you were cheating on me?" She tilted her head and he shook his head making her snicker.

"Nah...it was probably right before. I went out one night with Damien and Sawyer, I think you met him once, when I was stuck at the office down in the dumps over you not giving me the attention I needed. Sawyer had asked if I wanted to go with them and I agreed. Michael and Ant weren't around at the time or was just busy so I figured fuck it why not?"