XIV: Mine

un·cer·tain·ty :

"There's nothing rebellious about loving something that can't love you. You're a woman, you should have known that men in the city would split you in half searching for their fathers in between your legs"

_ _ _

11 months ago

The doctor walked in with an expression that Chris wasn't able to read. His hand was holding onto Tayla's tightly, squeezing it here and there giving reassuring. Since they arrived, he's been telling her positive things making sure she had those in her head instead of the negative.

Tayla on the other hand already knew what was coming.

"You two are....my favorite couple and-"

"Just tell us what it is. We already know the procedure by now." Chris spoke letting out a deep breath. The doctor sucked in a breath and placed her clipboard down giving them both a serious face.

".... We've failed again. The embryo wasn't able to implant. It's nothing with you this time around, it's just that even though the embryos looked perfect before implanting, it most likely ended up dying instead being able to grow-"

"Is it me?" Chris asked looking at the doctor who gave a sympathetic look towards him.

"No, you.... your fine." She looked over at Tayla who chuckled in disbelief and rolled her eyes sitting up. Chris furrowed his eyes and wrapped his arms around her only for her to push him away.

She couldn't help but to feel like this was all her fault.

"It's me, huh? What is it, my eggs?"

"Tayla... it's everything. But I don't want you to get discouraged, we can always do surrogacy or adoption - there's a lot of agencies I know that can help you two for wanting a second child."

"Thanks but no thanks. I'm done with it," Tayla waved it off and trying to fight the tears from falling from her eyes as she stood up and walked out. Chris's heart immediately started to break at the start of his wife lose on building a family.

He just wish he'd knew this would be the start to the end of their marriage.

-

Present

"We should do Miami- oh, wait. We should do the Bahamas. You so boring though so you probably finna stay home and watch disney movies with Ayla." Symphani spoke as she scrolled a article on Vogue on the best places to visit while Tayla sat across from her actually working.

"Bitch, I'm not boring."

"Mhm." Tayla's mouth fell agape making Symphani chuckle and laugh, placing her phone down on the desk.

"I'm not. I'mma single hard working mother now trying to jump back into the single life after all these years."

"With Xavier, I hope,"

Tayla stayed quiet making Symphani raise an eyebrow and lean forward.

"With Xavier, I hope!" She repeated loudly making Tayla make a face. "Girl, what's going on with you and Brooklyn?"