Chapters 7

Drug use

1980s

I never thought I'd do drugs. Hell, for the first sixteen years of my life, I didn't know anything stronger than liquor. At first, the idea of drugs just seemed inconvenient. You had to crush a pill into fine powder, put it in neat lines, then snort it.

So with all that knowledge, why was it I found myself wiping the white powder off my nose. "Wait, so how long does it take to hit, though?" I asked him, "Uhh, it should be hitting now. " Sure enough, I had a random burst of energy.

It was different from being drunk, in a way. My heart was beating like I'd run a marathon, but there was this undertone of calmness. "Cool, right?" he asked me, I nodded. "But it's just this one time, something to tell my kids one day," I said.

"You mean our kids," he corrected, gently pulling me into a kiss. Before we could do anything the phone rang. "Hello," I said as I picked up. "Hello, is there a Ms. Lavender in the house?" a lady's voice said over the phone. "Is this about V?" I asked, and she said yes.

"I understand he asked for you if it's not a problem," she began, but I interrupted her. "No, no, it's fine. I'll be there in a bit, bye." I hung up the phone. "Is it Ms. Daphne, " Nikki asked. "It's V, I was gonna tell you," I started, "tell me what?" he asked, getting off the couch. "I found him unconscious, think he overdosed," I explained.

"I'm so sorry, come here." He pulled me in his hands, making me aware of how cold I was. "I'll drive you come on," he pulled me to the car. I was shivering by the time we made it to the car. "Are you ok?" he asked me, "I'm fine, just so damn cold. " I shrugged, crossing my legs to my chest for warmth. "You're always cold," He said, laughing.

"Yeah, I guess I am," I said, staring out the window as he drove. He stopped on the way, getting me some ice chips, which made me really happy. "I literally love you, you know that, right?" I asked him as he opened the car door, letting me out.

"Who else would you love?" he teased. "Josiah," I teased back, "your cheating fiancée" "point made." I sighed as we walked in the hospital, I'd only been in them a few times. There's some things to like and some things to hate with a passion.

"I hate hospitals," Nikki said, pulling me closer to him, "I don't mind them," I said as we walked to the front desk. "Hi, where here to see someone?" I said, sighing the sheet. "Who are you here to see?" she asked in a monotone voice. "Valtino."Valtino got a last name?" she asked sarcastically. "Gascon," I answered.

"Go to room 355" she said, I thanked her. I was full on shivering by the time we got to the room. "Hey V," I said though chattering teeth. "Hey," he sounded weak. "Valtino, what the fuck where you thinking" I said the anger from last time we talk flaring up.

"I wasn't thinking" I pretended to act shocked. "Wooow I couldn't tell you could have died" I yelled causing him roll his eyes. "I did die but what do you care?" He asked. "Don't play that fucking game with me you asked for me, to be here"

"I did and I'm sorry for interrupting your session" he said looking at me, "my session" I scoffed. "You have powder on your noise" he added. I rolled my eyes, "chill the fuck out it's my first and last high that your ass fucking ruined," "If I ruined it why don't you fuck off" he got up so fast he nearly ripped out his IV.

"NO I WONT FUCKING LEAVE" I shouted. Before I could say anything else the doctor walked into the room. An old smooth faced white man with gray hair opened the room door.

"Hello Mr. Valtino, I understand you had quite a scare today. So how you feeling?" he asked holding up a clip board. I sat down on a chair next to Nikki who was standing there awkwardly.