Chapter 10

Chapter contains slight sexual content.

"I see you've been rather busy since our last meeting." The room is uncomfortably cold, and I curse myself for wearing a tank top and shorts. "More like avoiding the phone," I admit a bit ashamed to admit that i dragged 24 hours into a few weeks. "That's not good." he smiled at me, and his hair seemed to Grey since I've last seen him.

"It isn't, but I've had to get my things in order," I explained. To say I've avoided Nikki was an understatement. I'd throw myself into trying to get back on the grid.

"Have you?" He asked me to write down on that little clip board.

"Have I what?" Instantly, I wanted to slap myself. "I'm sorry, yeah, I've gotten my birth certificate." I look down at my grown out acrylics. I should really get a fill-in.

"Well, that's a stepping stone. Keep going." he cleared his throat, clearly having more pressing matters to talk about, then my trying to become a real person.

"About the thing?" I asked him, changing to the more pressing subject.

"You don't need to worry about sickle cell anemia," he states in a tone that relives me.

"So I'm healthy?" I asked he gives me a look.

"Not quite see you dont have Sickle cell. But you are anemic, and your iron levels are under 120" he explains to me, but I'm left more confused.

"Iron levels?" I questioned him, "is that bad?" More questions swim in my head

"Could be," he states, "but it can be treated with medicines," which made me feel a bit better, and I let out a sigh of relief. "Over the term of about six months, I suggest iron rich foods and..." he pauses, writing down something on a small notepad before handing me the yellow paper. I looked down at the ungodly handwriting. "... Feosol iron supplement, " he explained.

"Then it will go away?" I asked him my leg, bouncing so much I'd thought it would put a hole in the floor.

"Depending on if it's chronic or not, but even if it it's chronic, the treatment would be about the same." Another word I didn't know.

"Chronic?" My stomach twisted in embarrassment. I felt like a three year old the way he had to explain everything to me.

"Long lasting," he elaborated.

"Oh..." was all I managed to muster out of my mouth. "Just how long is long lasting?" I asked him, trying to get a grip on the situation.

"A year at least," he pauses for a bit, then continues, "but we won't know till the end of the six months. By then, you would be used to it, " he joked, I let out a dry chuckle.

"Any more questions?" He asked me, I had so many questions, so many things were running through my head.

"No, thank you, doctor.." I finally got a good look at his name tag, "Steer. " The name sounded a bit familiar, but I could put a face to the name.

After filling out some paperwork, I was free to leave. I thought about the ups and downs on one hand. I didn't have a sickle cell. On the other hand, I had anemia. Which seemed better, but Dr. Steer monotone voice made everything seem the same.

I walked out to the car, where V was waiting for me.

"Are you dying?" He asked, not even waiting for my butt to touch the seat.

"Nope," i sighed, "just anemic," a smirk played on his face.

"You avoided that phone for weeks, just for it to be anemia." he let out a small snicker.