Chapter 8

Kathryn walked out of her parent's house and onto the sidewalk. There were so many thoughts in her head that she did not even see him standing there.

"Kathy," Benjamin said making her turn around.

"Benny," Kathryn smiled

Kathy and Benny. They were the nicknames they had given each other as children.

"Care if I walk with you?" Benjamin asked, "I would love to catch up."

"That sounds lovely," Kathryn smiled, "So how were your travels, Lord Price?"

"Please do not call me that," Benjamin laughed, "Lord Price is my father."

"Benny it is then," Kathryn said.

"My travels were quite long and beautiful," Benjamin said, "I traveled all over. It was nice to get away for a while."

Kathryn watched and listened in awe as Benjamin went on and on about his travels. She had never seen someone talk about something so passionately. He made it seem like traveling was so magical.

"That all sounds so wonderful. I would love to be able to travel one day," Kathryn said.

"Yes but I am afraid that my traveling might be coming to an end," Benjamin said.

"Why so?" Kathryn asked.

"Father thinks I need to settle down and start learning the family business. He said I must prepare to take over one day," Benjamin said, "Plus when I get a wife it will be hard to travel."

"Maybe you will be lucky enough to find someone who loves traveling just as much as you do," Kathryn said.

She smiled up at the boy who was smiling back down at her. He was giving her this look that she had never seen anyone give her before.

"Anyway," Benjamin said breaking their eye contact, "What have you been up to as of late?"

It was on the tip of her tongue to tell him about the wedding, she presumed he already knew anyway. But something inside of her told her not to bring it up. Benjamin knew Kathryn more than anyone, maybe even her own family. The two had always been really close growing up, Kathryn even thought maybe the two would get married to each other one day. As they got older Benjamin started traveling more and more and Kathryn was left at home. They would both write each other all of the time but as the years went on the letters became few and far between until they stopped.

Kathryn had not seen Benjamin in well over a year so seeing him standing in her family's drawing room was not expected. She knew that if she brought up her marriage and they started talking about it Benjamin would see right through her. He had been too late, and she might always resent him a tiny bit for that.

"I have not been up to much," Kathryn replied, "Just the usual."

Benjamin looked down at the girl who walked beside him questioningly.

"Why are you giving me that look?" Kathryn asked.

"Because I know you are lying," Benjamin said.

"I am not," Kathryn defended.

"Kathy I may not have seen you in a long time but I can still tell when you are lying. You have always been a bad liar," Benjamin said.

"Well you obviously do not know me well anymore because I am not lying," Kathryn said, "And for your information, I am a very good liar."

"Right. Just like that time, we got caught stealing cupcakes for that ball my mother was hosting because you could not lie to her face without almost passing out," Benjamin laughed.

"Hey, we got caught because you had frosting on your face and she used it as evidence," Kathryn said.

"And I almost had her convinced it was toothpaste until she turned to look at you," Benjamin said.

Kathryn threw her head back laughing remembering the situation. She and Benjamin were always getting into trouble as children.

"I have missed you," Kathryn smiled up at the man.

"I have missed you as well," Benjamin said, "Hopefully we can see more of each other now that I am back."

"That sounds lovely," Kathryn smiled glancing up at the Price house in front of them, "I guess this is where I leave you for now."

"I shall see you soon," Benjamin said grabbing her hand and kissing her knuckles.

Kathryn could not help but blush slightly at the man's actions. Not that it meant anything. She was married to someone else after all. Nothing could come of her and Benjamin's relationship besides being friends.

The rest of the walk back to the Bridgerton house was not very far but Kathryn wore a smile on her face that she had not had in a long time.

--

"Daphne, are you ready for your first ball tomorrow?" Benedict asked as they all ate dinner.

"Yes!" Daphne beamed, "I am so overjoyed."

Kathryn could not help but smile at the girl. Making your debut into society was a big deal and full of so many emotions. She was glad that Daphne was so excited. Kathryn's first ball almost did not even happen, she got quite nervous and almost passed out from all of the stress.

"What was your first ball like, Kathryn?" Daphne asked putting all the attention on the girl.

"Oh well I am afraid that my first ball did not go as planned," Kathryn replied, "I was so unbelievably nervous that I almost passed out before the night had even started."

Benedict, who sat next to the girl, started to laugh.

"Do not laugh at the girl," Violet scolded her second oldest, "First balls for many young ladies are a stressful time."

"It is quite all right," Kathryn assured Violet, "Looking back now it is quite funny. I do not know why I was so nervous in the first place."

"But it all ended up working out, you found Anthony," Daphne smiled.

"Yes, I did find the Viscount" Kathryn smiled back as she glanced toward the Viscount who was sitting at the head of the table on her other side, "It all worked out."

"Do promise you will help me get ready tomorrow," Daphne said, "I want to make sure I pick out the perfect dress."

"Of course I will," Kathryn said.

"I do not know why you are trying so hard sister," Anthony said, "The Queen has already named you this season diamond."

"That is exactly why I am trying so hard. I cannot allow her to have picked a bad diamond," Daphne said.

"I think she picked a perfect diamond," Kathryn said to the girl.

"Thank you, Kathryn," Daphne smiled.

Double update because I wrote a few chapters today! I think I'm finally deciding where I want this story to go!
I hope you all enjoy 💛💛
~A