Chapter 14

Kathryn walked into the drawing-room, she was feeling much better today than she had the past month. She had visited her mother and sister the night before and she could tell that they were doing better as well. Life was maybe starting to get back to normal.

"Good evening, dear," Violet said with a smile on her face.

"Good evening," Kathryn smiled.

"That dress is very beautiful," Daphne said, "It brings out your eyes."

"Thank you, Daphne," Kathryn replied.

The dress she wore was one her father had given her for her birthday. He had specifically picked out the blue fabric because it was his favorite color. The fact that it brought out her eyes was just a bonus.

"Are you going to be around for dinner?" Violet asked.

"I was actually just going to head to my mother's house to check up on her. I am not sure if I will be back for dinner or not," Kathryn said.

"I shall walk you," Benedict said standing up.

"You do not have to, Benedict. I am perfectly capable of walking myself," Kathryn said.

"Nonsense. I am headed that way anyway and I could use the company," Benedict said.

"Very well," Kathryn said.

The two walked out of Bridgerton house and made their way toward the Bishop home.

"You are looking much happier today," Benedict commented.

"I feel happier," Kathryn said, "I know my father would not want me sulking around over him for the rest of my life. He would want me to be happy and get out there and live."

"That is a wonderful way to look at it," Benedict said.

"I thought so," Kathryn smiled.

Benedict looked at the girl. This was the most happy he had seen her in a month. Definitely, the first time he had seen her smile. That is why he hesitated when asking the question he had been dying to know, even though he thought he already knew the answer.

"Have you spoken with Anthony?" Benedict asked.

Kathryn's whole face dropped at the mention of his name. This made Benedict regret even asking the question in the first place.

"I have not," Kathryn said, "We have not spoken since that night."

"How do you feel about that?" Benedict asked.

"I do not know how to feel if I am being honest. If Lord Bridgerton does not wish to speak to me then that is his prerogative," Kathryn said.

"But he is your husband," Benedict said, "He should be there for you during this time."

"I do not need someone to comfort me unless that is what they want to do. Lord Bridgeton has made it clear on multiple occasions that he is not capable of love. I am just the stupid one who thought maybe that would change," Kathryn said.

Benedict grabbed ahold of the girl's hand squeezing it, "Well if you ever need anyone to talk to you know where to find me."

"Thank you, Benedict," Kathryn smiled, "You have been most helpful during this difficult time."

The two stopped in front of the Bishop house as Kathryn looked up at it.

"I guess this is where I leave you," Benedict said.

"I will be back home later," Kathryn said turning to the boy.

Benedict gave her a nod and continued to walk the way they were going. Kathryn laughed at the man as she watched him walk.

"You can head home Benedict," Kathryn called out.

"What do you mean? I said I was..."

"I know you just said that because you did not want me to have to walk alone," Kathryn said.

"Right," Benedict said walking back toward the girl, "I will be heading home then."

"Thank you very much," Kathryn said.

"You are very welcome," Benedict said.

Benedict enters the Bridgerton house heading straight for Anthony's study. He opened to door without even knocking. Anthony was sitting there with a paper in his hand and many more scattered around his desk.

"What the hell is your problem?" Benedict said.

"I beg your pardon?" Anthony asked.

"You have fucked this situation and you know it," Benedict said shutting the door to the study.

Anthony sat the paper down and stood up from his desk. He had honestly never seen Benedict so worked up.

"I am afraid I am going to need a little more context on the situation you are referring to," Anthony said.

"The situation with your wife, Kathryn," Benedict said.

"I believe that situation is none of your business," Anthony said.

"You made it my business when I have had to comfort your wife over the last month over her father's death because you will not do as much as even speak to her," Benedict said.

"Stay out of this, Benedict," Anthony said.

"I will not stay out of it. You need to speak to her," Benedict said, "She has just gone through the roughest patch of her life and her husband was not even there for her. And for what? All because you do not believe in love."

"You do not know what you are talking about," Anthony said.

"I do know what I am talking about. You of all people should know exactly how she feels. We lost our dad too," Benedict argued.

"I do not wish to speak to you anymore about this," Anthony said turning away from his brother and picking up his glass of whiskey.

A long silence fell over the two

"You know you changed after he died. You used to be happy and always smiling. Now you hardly ever smile and you just shut everyone out and push them away," Benedict said, coming out barely above a whisper, "If you stopped believing in love when dad died then you should have never married. You can wallow all you want in your self-pity, but you should not bring Kathryn down with you. She is a wonderful girl and any man would be lucky to call her their wife."

Benedict left the room slamming the door behind him. A loud crash came from the room, Benedict could only assume Anthony had thrown the glass that was in his hand and shattered it.

"Is everything all right?" Violet asked walking up to her son.

"Yes. I do not think Anthony will be joining us for dinner though," Benedict said.

"I better go check on him," Violet said placing her hand on the doorknob.

Benedict placed his hand on his mothers stopping her from opening the door, "I do not think he wished to speak to anyone at the moment."

"Well is he all right?" Violet asked.

"Yes. Just throwing a tantrum like a toddler," Benedict said before walking away.

Benedict>>>>>>>>>>

No but on a real note Benedict and Kathryn's friendship is so underrated! I should have written more chapters with them together.

~A