Chapter 9

Kathryn was dressing in her sleeping gown sitting in the mirror, brushing her hair when Anthony walked into the room. She watched him through the mirror as he walked over to the dresser and started to undress. Anthony took off his shirt revealing his back. There was no doubt that Anthony was an attractive man, he had muscles but they were not too overbearing. Kathryn hated it when men were too muscular. Other than his sullen personality, Anthony was the perfect man.

Anthony quickly turned around to face her making her eyes shift back to herself in the mirror.

"Why did you not tell me about your father last night?" Anthony asked.

"You did not ask," Kathryn replied continuing to brush her hair.

"How was I supposed to ask if I did not know he was sick," Anthony said.

"I do not know," Kathryn said starting to get a bit annoyed.

Truth be known she did not know why she did not tell him about her father. Maybe it was because they fought...or maybe it was because she felt like he would not care even if she did tell him.

"Why did you not tell me?" Anthony asked walking toward his wife.

"Maybe it was because as soon as I walked in the door you were trying to accuse me of something," Kathryn said.

"If I would have known I would not have," Anthony started.

"You would not have what?" Kathryn cut him off standing up to face him, "If you would have known you might not have accused me of something. If you had known you might not have started the argument in the first place. If you would have known you might not have told me, your wife whom you are supposed to love, that you do not believe in love. Or maybe if you would have known you would not have told me that I would be better off not believing in love."

Anthony stood there staring at his wife. Kathryn was unbelievably angry, he was not going to stand here and act like he would have not said any of that if he had known her father was sick. She may have to live with this man for the rest of her life but she was not going to allow him to say and do whatever he pleased.

"There were a lot of things said last night, Lord Bridgerton," Kathryn said taking a step closer toward him, "But I do not believe I owe you any kind of explanation on why I did not tell you about my father."

Kathryn turned back around so that her back was to Anthony. Partially because she did not want him to see the tears that were welling in her eyes. But mostly because she thought she saw regret in his face, and that was something she did not want to deal with right now.

After a few seconds, Kathryn heard the door shut and she turned around to see no sign of Anthony in the room. They had not been in the ton very long and this was already their second fight. If you could even call them fights at this point. Anthony seemed to run away during all of them. This would also be the second night in a row that they two had not slept in the same room. Not that it was anything new, Kathryn did spend six months alone. She honestly quite preferred it that way.

--

Kathryn was walking the halls of the Bridgerton house looking for Anthony the next morning. She did not want to ask anyone because that might lead to more questions. She peered her head into a room and saw no one making her let out a sigh.

"Good morning," someone said scaring the girl.

"Eloise, good morning," Kathryn smiled.

"What are you doing?" Eloise questioned.

"I am just trying to become more familiar with the house since we will be staying here for a while," Kathryn said.

"Anthony has not given you the tour yet?" Eloise asked.