𝐶ℎ𝑎𝑝𝑡𝑒𝑟 4

𝐽𝑎𝑖 𝑆ℎ𝑟𝑒𝑒 𝐾𝑟𝑖𝑠ℎ𝑛𝑎

**********************************

Chapter 4

Sunlight streamed through the windows, casting a soft glow on the living room. Kavish, visibly worried and frustrated, stood in the room as Koel emerged from her room, looking dishevelled and groggy.

Kavish's concern was evident as he approached Koel, his tone a mix of frustration and genuine care.

“Koel, we need to talk. Last night, you came back home late and clearly intoxicated. This isn't the first time, and it's starting to worry me. We're here for you, but you need to understand the consequences of your actions.”

Koel rolled her eyes, her defensive posture evident.

“Oh, please, dada bhai. Don't start lecturing me. I'm a grown adult, and I can make my own choices. It's none of your business what I do with my life. You should go babysit that little wife of yours instead.” She said, irritated.

“Koel, I'm not trying to control your life. But as your brother, I care about your well-being. I've seen you go down this path before, and I don't want to see you hurt yourself or make mistakes you'll regret. And Jhilmil doesn't need any babysitting, she is responsible enough.” He said, though hurt from his sister's accusation.

Koel's defensive demeanour  began to soften as she realised Kavish's genuine concern.

“Sorry…won't do it again.” She said, reluctantly. Kavish nodded.

Jhilmil sat on a comfortable chair, gently massaging her mother-in-law, Shanti's swollen feet, providing her some much-needed relief. Shanti closed her eyes, appreciating the soothing touch and the quiet moment they shared.

“Bouma ( daughter in law), my dear, thank you for taking care of me. You're such a blessing to our family.” She said, gently.

Jhilmil smiled warmly, her hands continuing the gentle massage.

“It's my pleasure, Maa. Taking care of you is a way for me to show my love and respect for you. Just two days here and you've treated me like your own daughter.” Jhilmil said, warmly.

Shanti's expression turned thoughtful, her gaze fixed on Jhilmil.

“Jhilmil, my son Kavish is fortunate to have you by his side. But there's something I want to share with you, something that weighs heavily on my heart.”

Jhilmil paused her massage, giving Shanti her full attention.

“What is it, Maa? You can tell me anything. We're family.” She asked, concerned.

Shanti took a deep breath, her voice filled with a mix of vulnerability and concern.

“Jhilmil, my son is a wonderful man, and I can already see how he cherishes you. But there's something I've noticed—he often neglects himself while taking care of others. He gets so caught up in his responsibilities that he forgets to prioritise his own well-being.” Shanti said, sincerely.

Jhilmil's eyes widened with realisation, and she nodded understandingly.

“I've noticed that too, Maa. He is so selfless and always puts others before himself. Sometimes, I worry that he's neglecting his own needs and happiness.”

Shanti reached out and placed a hand on Jhilmil, offering her comfort and understanding.

“Jhilmil, Bouma, I know you like Kavish deeply. Please, look after him, not just as a wife but as a partner who cares for his well-being. Help him find that balance between taking care of others and himself.”