12 ~ enemies at the gates

That night, as we are sitting in the dining room eating, Ruin decides to introduce me to more members of his Court. Since I've only met a few, he wants me to meet all of them. And since we have accepted our strange circumstances, he wants to do it now, before the war begins in earnest.

Lucian is the first to enter the room after Ruin said that, and he bows before me. "Nice to see you once more, Lady Elorha."

The next two are Zariah and Orayn, his Second and Third. I look at Zariah first. She has long, black hair that seemingly absorbs all light touching it, her eyes are stormy like the sea. Her skin is deep brown, and covered in glowing blue tattoos. She wears all black clothes and a cloak, and her boots make a loud clacking sound when she walks in.

Orayn is tall and skinny, but obviously physically fit. They have a mowhawk hairstyle, their hair is bright red streaked with blonde. Their skin is olive and freckled, lined with various tattoos and scars. They wear a black cloak like Zariah, a red shirt, green cargo pants, and boots.

"It is an honor to meet you," Orayn says, bowing before me. They stand up as Zariah herself bows, too.

"Orayn and Zariah here are wraiths," says Ruin, his tone casual, like he's talking about the weather.

Wraiths are dangerous.  Deadly. Lethal assassins that are rarely bound to a corporeal form, usually taking on the appearance of a dark mist.

I think Ruin senses my fear, because he clears his throat, and when I look at him, he looks serious.  "They will never harm you, Elorha. They are here to help protect you. They are my Second and Third in command."

"So .... if we are to be .... you know .... will I be your new Second?" I ask.

He shakes his head, and my heart sinks. "No. Elorha, if we do become what we may or may not be fated to be, you will be my equal. They will be your Second and Third, too."

I look at him, searching for any hint of a joke or a jeer toward me. But I sense none. He's serious.  "You .... would really make me Lady of Ruination?"

"Without hesitation," he says.  "If that is what you want, that is. Elorha, I will not push anything onto you. If you wanted to leave tomorrow, I would not stop you. I would help pack your bags. Please believe me when I say that I wish only the best for you, my friend."

Suddenly, a new person appears in the room. He's tall (like freakishly tall) and has auburn hair, and an auburn beard. He wears no shirt, but his huge, auburn and black and gray wings are unfurled around his tattooed, pale upper half. He faces Ruin, his scars that I can see looking brutal as he moves.

"Rune," says Ruin. That won't be confusing. Rune and Ruin.

"My Lord, the armies of Pain have assembled at the gates."

"What."

"Yes," Rune rumbles. "They request Elorha."

"Why?"

"They said if you give up the girl, they will not harm anyone within this Court," he says.

"Then they're fucking delirious." Ruin stands up and looks at me, then Lucian, Zariah, and Orayn. "Take her to the library. The wards there will protect her."

"No!" I cry.  "Who will protect you?"

Ruin smiles. "My dear, sweet Elorha, you need not worry about me. I'll be fine. I know how to control and manage my powers. But for now, please go with them to the library. Its wards will keep you safe."

"If it helps, I'll have his back," Rune says.

I look between all the people gathered. No one seems as scared as I am. But I can feel the uncertainty within Ruin's heart. He does not know what tonight will bring. He does not know if he will live through this confrontation with Pain and her army.

I stare at him, wondering if this is the last time I'll ever see him. He steps closer to me, cupping my face in his hands.  "I will not ask you to fight, because I know you can't yet. I do not want to lose you before anything could be done. Please, Elorha. Go with them."

I look up at him. "Exie. My birth name is Exie."

He smiles. "Micah." He kisses my forehead, and vanishes.