24 ~ Destruction's Court

Erasmus and Time take me from Ruin's Court, and bring me to Destruction's Court.

This place is massive, and its walls are tall and made of brick, but within, the cityscape is desolate. People line the destroyed buildings, broken roads, and sidewalks. Blood is smeared across buildings, and on the ground below. For a place called Destruction's Court, it's obvious who their leader is, and what kind of being Destruction themselves are.

I am dragged, my arms, legs, and wings bound, behind Erasmus as we approach the ruined castle Destruction calls their home. There's a heavy chain around my neck, and it is how Erasmus drags me forward. He occasionally yanks hard on the chain, causing me to choke and stumble. He laughs when this is done, and I am finding myself burning with rage.

When Erasmus and Time reach the inner rooms of the palace walls, the crumbling cathedral we find ourselves in is all but held together by fracturing stones. If I could access my power, I could destroy this place. But there are markings etched into the chains on me, and they prevent me from even feeling the roar of my power. I look to Time, the chain around his neck is so tantalizing close ....

Ruin is trapped. And if I could just save him ....

Destruction appears on a dias in the center of the huge cathedral, and they look at me with obvious disdain. They wear a long, orange and silver cloak over their wings, and their armor glistens as they step down from the dias, approaching me.

"Look how far the mighty have fallen," they say, chuckling. "You and Ruin would have made such an incredible powerhouse of sheer demonic energy. Just like my sister, Death, and Ellory."

Fear and horror and revulsion skitter through me. "You. You imprisoned Ellory, and Ruin!"

Destruction's laughter fades.  "You dare accuse me of that? Well. I suppose I cannot fault you for that, after all, it is woefully true."

I bare my teeth to them. "You are evil. Just like your sister, Pain. Well guess what. She's dead. Has been for a while. And you know what? You will be, too."

"Oh, you thought you'd seen the last of Pain? Truly? Ha! You are foolish, Mortal-Heart. You see, while it is true that your vile sister, Farrin, delivered a killing blow to Pain with an enchanted dagger, nothing short of one of her siblings doing so would permanently kill her. Pain's going to rise again, Elorha. And when she does, she will be furious with you and your sister.  Why, she might just tear the realms apart to get to you."

"Let her try. Tell her to get the fuck in line," I snap.

"You do not understand the depths of her power, or her rage. Yes, she can be blinded by such anger, but that does not mean she will not be a formidable foe to encounter."

"So youre just doing her dirty work? Imprisoning me and Ruin, destroying his Court, all for what?"

"Perhaps you have forgotten, little Mortal-Heart, but we are at war," Erasmus replies coldly. "War is war. And sooner or later, it was bound to cost Ruin for what he's done to coddle you and your family and village."

"You do not ever mention my village," I hiss.

"You do not seem to realize you're in no position to demand or threaten," Destruction chides.

"You can kiss my fucking ass. You are going to let us and anyone else you've stolen from Ruin's Court, or else I will gleefully burn this place to ash and dust."

The three of them all laugh at this.  "Oh, how wonderful it is to see you still have fight left in you, Mortal-Heart." Time shakes his head.

I leap up, reaching for his necklace. Erasmus flicks his wrist, and my chains choke me. I gasp, collapsing to my knees on the floor. They laugh once again.

"Take her away," says Destruction, shaking their head. "I grow tired of her and her mouth."