13 ~ arguments

The library seems darker than before. As I sit down at the table where I typically read, not far from the hearth, Zariah pulls something from beneath her cloak. She hands a long, wicked looking dagger to me, placing it on the table between us. I look down at it. It has a cobalt blue hilt with a golden dragon carved into it, and the curved blade is bright silver, etched with cobalt swirls.

I look up at her, and she frowns at me.  "You do not know how to handle a blade?"

I shake my head.  "My village was safe. Or .... so I thought."

"Yes, a village where they sacrifice you to a demon sounds a lot safe," Lucian mutters sarcastically.

The four of us sit for a while, and I am almost asleep, when a mist floats in through the library, between the stacks of books. I tilt my head, watching it, confused as to what it is. But Zariah and Orayn immediately go on the offensive. They draw their weapons and stand between me and the mist. Lucian inches closer to me, too.

"Lucian," Zariah says. "Warp her out of here."

"The wards," Lucian says.  "They won't let me."

"Fucking try!" Zariah hisses, just as the mist lashes out, throwing Zariah against a nearby stack. Orayn lashes out too, but the mist becomes untouchable, and they fall to their knees, slashing at the mist. But nothing happens.

Lucian picks up the dagger Zariah gave me, and then pulls me close to him. I try to pull away, but he shakes his head.  "This is to keep you safe, Elorha."

A whirlwind of magick and dark, starkissed wind engulfs us. I feel like I am falling fast and hard, and then, we stand in a new place, no longer the library. I look around, and see that Lucian brought me to Ruin's room.

I walk over to the bed and sit down, staring at the floor. Now that we aren't in the library, I can sense him. Ruin is fighting the army Pain brought with her. He is wounded.

I stand up and start to the door, but Lucian grabs my arm. I look at him, shaking myself free.  "What? I'm your prisoner now?"

"No, but I'm supposed to protect you, Elorha," he says.

"I'm aware of that, Lucian," I hiss. "But it does not mean I do not think Ruin needs my help. He's hurt. I can feel it."

"You can't help," he says.  "If you go out there, it'll be disastrous. He would be too distracted by your presence and could die if you distract him too much."

I glare at him. Suddenly, rose gold flames appear in my hand, and I look down at them, watching the flames flicker. I'm angry. And there's this pulsing sensation surging through my entire body. I blink away the tears threatening me, and when I look back at Lucian, his shock is obvious.

"Calm down, El," he says.

"I will not let him be killed while I sit here and do nothing."

"So it seems you will let him be killed while you're there, to distract him from the fight. El, you aren't hearing me," he says.  "Lord Ruin does not need your help, he's fine without you."

"Fuck off, Lucian," I snap.  I pick up the dagger. "I'm going to him. He needs help, I can feel his pain. He's hurt."

Before Lucian can say or do anything else, I run from the room.