Chapter 5

Dollanie POV

I have no idea how long it's been since my last encounter with the Prince. But I'm sure that it's been a couple of weeks.

Since I hadn't seen him, my smile was now growing more. Being around the Prince has always felt suffocating. The thick aura that surrounds him always has me on edge. Something about his blue eyes that sometimes looks almost black as he glares down at me with hatred makes my heart beat a thousand times more than average. It confuses me as to where his hatred was coming from; from my understanding, I have not done anything wrong to make him despise me this much. So why does he always look down at me as if he wants to murder me? Just because I'm black?

I know they see my people beneath them, but he doesn't pick on the other slaves. I have never seen him around anyone of my kind. Maybe it is because I'm the slave who always runs into him coincidentally. I tried my best to avoid him as much as I could. I don't want to get involved in anything with him. He is evil.

Besides Melania, no one else knows about my frequent interaction with him. We have concluded that we should stick together because if the Prince sees me with a company, he may no longer bother me or drag me into places with him. I appreciate Melania for her brave effort.

Right now, we were on our way back to the castle to help out with cooking. We are having a get-together to check on everyone, ensure everyone is okay, and see how things are going. Even the males were coming as well. I couldn't believe it when I discovered that the king purposely kept both genders in separate areas. I barely see males around, but I didn't ponder about it.

"I'm so excited to see them, Dollanie. Did you know when it is time to mate with them and reproduce, they will throw a big party bigger than this one and allow us to choose anyone willing to be with them. That's a good thing; this is why we should look around for males our age and talk to them. One day they might be the ones to mate with us." Melania said in excitement. I wasn't excited about this. Instead, I found it weird that this is how we can choose our partners.

I didn't know much about love, mate, and coupling, but my mother's stories about her love for my father had set my expectations higher than what Malania had just told me.

"What is a mate?"

"Mating isn't for us. It's for the royal family. So we don't have to worry about it."

"Well, what is it?"

"You know about how we're different from them, right? Beyond just skin color. They have a powerful bond that connects them. It's almost like fate and destiny for them to be together. As time passes and they get closer to their mates, it's almost painful and impossible for them to stay apart. For us, it's love, but for the white ones, it's mate."

"What happens if their mates are black?"

She chuckled and shook her head. "I have no idea. It has never happened before; I doubt it. They despise us. I don't ever see anything but chains bounding us to them. Also, they are the only ones who feel the mating bond's effects. We wouldn't feel it. There would be an imbalance because the feelings won't be mutual."

"What happens if there's an imbalance?"

She shrugged her shoulders. "I don't know, it's never happened before, but all I could think about is that the emotions would be too strong for the males to handle because you won't feel the bond and sharing those feelings. So almost like you handle half of the bond, and he handles the other half; that's what it would mean if it's neutral. Do you understand?"

"I think I do. But I'm just curious why we can't feel the bond."

"They're different from us,"

"I know. But how?"