Prologue

I throw my graduation cap high in the air, smiling from ear to ear with my closest friend right by my side

I throw my graduation cap high in the air, smiling from ear to ear with my closest friend right by my side. The cap drops down right at me and I catch it quickly, wanting to keep it along with the memories.
I spent all night decorating it and making it look absolutely beautiful for the most important day of my life.

My incredible family is right there looking at me with their big smiles and loud claps. I run over to them, holding my cap in my hands. I jump into my father's arms and we hug for a long moment. "You did it! I'm so fucking proud of you." He whispers in my ear as we hug and small tears fall out of my eyes.

"Language, dad." I tell him as we pull apart and he chuckles "As if you don't hear me curse on the TV every sunday."

I go past him to hug Max, my adopted brother. Christian, my dad, adopted him when he was 17. It is a very late age to take a child in, but Jos, Max's biological father abused him for so many years for just not being the best and my father couldn't bare to see it anymore.

Max is a Formula 1 racing driver, and he's been driving since he can remember himself. Jos wanted him to be the best driver to ever exist, he always had to reach the finish line first, even if it meant abusing him when he finished a race at the second place and not the first.

My father is Christian Horner, the team principal of the RedBull F1 team, the same team Max has been driving in for about the past eleven or so years. My dad watched Max grow up for a lot of years and just decided he was giving Max a better family.

It was a tough decision, since Max wasn't 18 yet and couldn't decide, it was up to the court. Luckily, they saw how fucked up Jos was and realized my dad is offering Max a normal, loving family who's gonna treat him so much better.

Now he is 28, ten years older than me and he's the best and most overprotective big brother ever. In my four years of high school, I haven't been to a single date because of my brother and father. They can scare off any living person on this planet. Maybe even the entire universe.

"Wanna go get your favorite ice cream?" Max asks me and of course I agree. Cookies and cream is obviously the best ice cream flavor. Just because it's popular doesn't mean it's not the best flavor.

On the way to the ice cream shop, my dad asks me "So Avery, are you excited about travelling with your favorite people all around the world?"

"Yessss. I can't wait to watch all of the races and cheer you guys."

I decided to take a gap year before going to art school, so I could go with them to all of the races this season. I want to visit countries, see different cultures and learn about them, maybe get some nice photos that I can paint. I think it's the best choice for me.

"This year has to be the year I win the championship. I'm gonna have my lucky charm with me and no one else has you, daring." Max says and makes me smile.