𝐂𝐡𝐚𝐩𝐭𝐞𝐫 𝐅𝐨𝐮𝐫

Chapter 4

The atmosphere around the breakfast table that morning was strained. Dan had asked Harry for a quiet word in his study after the lad had finished eating, totally ruining his and Hermione's appetites. Tonks thought she couldn't make the situation any worse so asked the question that had troubled her since the bank yesterday.

"Harry, you asked the goblins if your godfather could sign a betrothal agreement, who's your godfather?"

Tonks wasn't sure if it was the chance to postpone the inevitable talk with Hermione's father but Harry seemed rather eager to answer her question.

"This is really gonna push your confidentiality oath to its limits Tonks, you sure you want to know?"

This comment also really piqued her interest so the female auror quickly agreed she did indeed want to know.

"My godfather is Sirius Black."

Everyone at the breakfast table was familiar with the expression that the colour drained out of someone, none of them had ever seen such a graphic example though as Tonks hearing that news. Her bubblegum pink spiky hair actually got longer and lanker, while morphing to mousey brown. Her face changed shape too with even her eyes now taking on a different hue.

"Eh Tonks, are you ok?"

"Harry, you need to tell me where he is..."

"NO!" Tonks was taken aback at the ferocity in Harry's voice, he got hold of himself quickly though and then started to explain his outburst. "Sirius is innocent but the stupid minister wouldn't believe us. He was going to get the kiss that night even though Hermione and I both saw and spoke to Peter Pettigrew. Sirius never even got a trial, they just flung him in Azkaban."

The colour draining effect kicked into reverse and started returning Tonks' complexion and hair back to normal, normal for her that is. This also raised a few eyebrows around the table and earning a question from Hermione. "Tonks, how are you able to do that?"

"Tell you later. Harry, will you tell me the full story?" She decided Harry needed to know the reason behind the request. "My mother's maiden name is Andromeda Black, she's Sirius' cousin. My mum was cast from the Black family because she married my dad, a muggleborn. From what I've been told, Sirius was chucked out when he went to live with your grandparents and dad. My mother always swore he would have died before betraying the Potters, they were his family."

Harry and Hermione then proceeded to tell the three adults exactly what happened that night, Tonks' hair was now shifting colours like some kind of living rainbow.

This story was almost all news to the Granger parents so Dan decided to go for more. "Some of the things you shouted at Dumbledore yesterday seemed rather serious, would you like to fill us in on exactly what goes on at that school of yours?"

The three adults once more noticed the two teens appeared to be holding a conversation without words. Hermione raised one eyebrow toward Harry and his semi-shrug in reply was apparently all they needed.

"Well, I suppose it really all started on Halloween of our first year. Ron said something that upset me and I was in the toilets crying..."

-oOoOo-

The Granger family had to end up eating Sunday lunch in the local pub, there was no time left to prepare it at home. That Tonks could drive was an added bonus. After the revelations heard earlier, both parents felt they needed a drink with their roast beef and Yorkshires. Tonks had eventually explained her abilities, abilities which saw the metamorphmagus sitting at the table with her appearance falling somewhere between a mix of Hermione and her mother. Her cover identity was Dora Granger, a visiting cousin. They could hardly say she was Hermione's boyfriend's bodyguard, those things just didn't happen in Crawley.