Chapter Fifteen

Chapter 15

Dinner that evening not only included Remus as a guest, Amelia and Susan were quickly becoming regular visitors while Croaker was there to provide an update on his horcrux search. Since the focus of that search would be moving to Hogwarts tomorrow, Remus was also being brought into the loop.

"We recovered a hidded ring that we think may have belonged to Salzar Slytherin. It's definitely a horcrux and fits exactly into the pattern my formula forecast. We can now confirm that there are two more to discover, with hopefully one of them being at Hogwarts."

This news was greeted enthusiastically, though a worried Dan asked the question of when they thought they would be able to get their hands on the remaining horcruxes?

"If we find another one in Hogwarts tomorrow, it then becomes a case of systematically checking properties of known and suspected death eaters. Unless we get really lucky, that could take a while."

Harry was reminded of a conversation with his first magical friend. "Hagrid once told me that there was no place safer in the magical world than Gringotts, could it possibly be there?"

This floored everyone for a moment before Amelia finaly gave her thoughts on the matter. "I would have to say that's a distinct possibility, I have to also say its one I hope is wrong. I have no idea how we would go about gaining access to someone's vault. I can't imagine the goblins cooperating in any search, far less getting our hands on anything that search throws up."

The magical users there all apparently agreed with that opinion, all except Harry and Hermione. "I think the goblins would want to see Voldemort gone just as much as we would."

Hermione agreed with Harry. "The may not let us search vaults, or even enter them, but we don't have to. Croaker's detector should be able to pinpoint the exact vault, could a goblin then enter and finish off the horcrux?"

Harry could see exactly what his betrothed was proposing. "Nothing would be taken from the vault as the destroyed horcrux could just be left in there."

Amelia and Croaker shared a glance before she answered for the ministry. "I think that's such a good idea, I will approach Gringotts tomorrow and ask for a meeting with the director. It may take a few days but that will allow Hogwarts to be searched, along with the more prominent death eater properties."

There was a great deal of delight around the table. The trial had been a spectacular success for them and they were making amazing progress in the horcrux hunt, it was now time for Amelia to dish out the bad news. "As the entire trial was public, all of magical Britain now knows Harry here is vital to defeating Voldemort. I don 't think there was enough information broadcast for anyone to tie Hermione's vital role in the process, but again everyone knows just how deep your relationship is. Even with an auror guard, I really don't think it would be safe for you two to return to Hogwarts until this is over."

Both Harry and Hermione glanced over at the pile of letters Remus had brought them from Hogwarts. They planned on reading them after dinner and had been looking forward to seeing their friends on Wednesday.

Amelia attempted to soften the blow. "You both can get underage exemption licences so you can practice magic here, and of course Tonks will still be asigned to you so she can help with lessons too!"

Harry glanced toward his godfather. "Sirius, if we got permission from Hogwarts, could we have some of our friends stay here for a weekend?"

Sirius thought this was a great idea. The last thing he wanted was these two isolated from people their own age. "We certainly have the room, and you know Dobby and Winky just love having guests. I have no problems whatsoever with your friends staying here."