Chapter 3

VISIONER

Visioner gaped at Brightness for a long moment, not believing his eyes. 

His sister was finally awake, after five long days of nervous waiting. 

His heart ached as he saw the long, cruel scars that were slashed across Brightness's scrawny body, and her wings, which drooped heavily. Gloopy ointment smeared across healing wounds. 

Visioner guessed he'd looked like that the first few days, but now, he was completely healed. A few scars on his body and a permanent limp, but other than that, he was fine. 

"Brightness," He managed to choke out. "You're really awake."

Visioner hurried towards her, his talons trembling. "I don't believe- I can't believe it. Brightness. You're alive. Brightness." 

"I think she bumped her head," Tsunami piped up. "She won't tell me anything, and she tried to touch my snout." 

"Brightness can't talk," Visioner explained. "And she's...strange. But not in a bad way. Moon will understand."

"Moon's in class," Tsunami pointed out. "Like a sensible young dragonet in a school should be doing. AHEM."

Visioner winced. He wasn't used to loud voices yet, and Tsumami's blunt fact was pretty true. It wasn't a very good thing to do, He agreed, feeling miserable. 

"Oh, come on, Tsunami," Sunny smiled down at Brightness and Visioner. Although she was small for an adult dragon, she was still bigger than them both. "Brightness- that's her name, right?- is awake! We should at least give them time to be happy and reunite again."

"Uh huh," Tsunami snorted. "And we don't even know if we're sheltering two dragonets that desperately need help after a battle or murderers that got knocked out in their own battles."

"Give them time," Sunny said patiently. "We'll find out sooner or later."

Or never, Visioner thought privately. I'd rather wish it stayed like that.

"Well, I'm tired of waiting to see what happens next," Tsunami snapped. "I'm more of a find-the-answers-now or beat-the-truth-out-of-them sort of dragon. I want to know why you're here, Visioner, and why you and Brightness both looked three-quarters dead.

"So. Explain youselves. Right. Now."