Chapter 11

BRIGHTNESS

Brightness followed Visioner as he ran through the hallway, rushing past Clay, who shouted, "Brightness! No running in the halls! And tell Visioner, too!"

Visioner ran faster than Brightness expected, as he had a severe limp from the last injury Destroyer had given him. He must be really desperate to get away from class, She thought. 

Wait. What if Visioner was having another one of his seizures? Brightness knew how severe they were, and how terrified he was every time he woke up from one. She quickened her pace. 

She hoped that she could get there in time.

VISIONER

Visioner wasn't himself anymore. Glimpses of dark purple showed up from his blood-stained talons, and he felt fury, power, and desperation. 

He couldn't speak.

He was Brightness.

She was tied up in thick ropes, watching helplessly as Destroyer tortured Visioner and his friends. 

No, not completely helpless. 

She could make Destroyer do anything she wanted, even tearing out his own throat. It was exciting, having the power to do anything she wanted, anything, and no one could ever stop her. 

Her eyes landed on a huge rock, just a few steps away. She closed her eyes. 

I enchant this rock smash into Destroyer's head. And I enchant this rope to free me and make him feel the pain he made me feel. 

Make him pay for what he's done. Make him suffer from his deeds.

BRIGHTNESS

"Brightness? What in all the moons is going on?" Brightness ignored Winter's indignant squawk as she pushed him towards the place Visioner had started his seizure. "Is that Visioner?"

Brightness watched as Visioner twitched and thrashed violently. Winter's wide eyes were two cold crystals of ice. After a while, the seizure slowed down, and Visioner opened his purple eyes.  

"Bright...ness," He croaked. "And...Winter?"

"I was just visiting...someone...and your sister dragged me over to you," Winter explained, casting a disgruntled glance at Brightness. "It's a good thing no one else saw you. They might think you've gone crazy. Explain what was just happening."

"I just...I'm not feeling well," Visioner mumbled. He tried standing up, but he stumbled, unbalanced as his wounded arm refused to move. Winter lifted him up, and Visioner let out a small yelp as the IceWing's frigid scales made contact with his own.

"I'll take you to the healers," Winter decided briskly. "Brightness, you should go back to class. Your teacher will be wondering where you went."

Brightness nodded. Webs will be angry, She guessed.

But right now, I'm more worried about Visioner.