Chapter 5

BRIGHTNESS

Brightness knew she was different- special, even-  the day she'd made her first spell. Her only spell. It had been a small one, but she remembered every word of the enchantment.

I wish this rock could become an orange.

It had been an accident, because that horrible day, just four days before Brightness and Visioner had arrived in this place, Destroyer had starved them for two entire weeks. She had been so hungry she'd bit into a rock, almost breaking her teeth. And then she'd just wished for it to be edible. 

It's lucky it wasn't a more deadly spell. Brightness shivered as she imagined Destroyer clawing out his own eyes. 

Maybe one day she'd use her magic to hurt other dragons, or save the world, or maybe help dragons that were in need, but for now, Brightness was content with the idea of using it to make food.

When was the last time I even ate? 

Brightness's eyes snapped open at the thought. She found a strange black dragon with silver scales under her green eyes staring down at her. The dragon jumped as she noticed that she'd woken up. 

"Hi." Her voice was soft and soothing, like the soft blow of the wind as it whistled into the cave. Brightness could see instantly that this dragon was kind, nervous, a little shy, maybe. Her dark eyes tasted like the cold puddles that dripped onto the ground, but warmed up as it entered her throat. 

The strange dragon's brows were furrowed in confusion. "Um. I'm Moon. Visioner told me a lot about you, Brightness."

Moon. Brightness liked this name. It swirled with midnight colors and stars and pale moonlight, though it had a very familiar tinge to it. Maybe because it kind of reminded her of Visioner. Though she had no idea how apples and moonlight could be similar.

"Are you feeling okay?" Moon asked. "You were unconscious for a very long time. Visioner was worried about you."

Brightness nodded.

"Well, after a few days or so, Starflight- he's our librarian- will teach you the basic knowledge of dragons, and then you can join your winglet and begin your classes."

Starflight. Librarian. Winglet. Every one of these strange, new words sounded so unique and intense to Brightness, but she loved them anyways.

Visioner. Visioner. Visioner. Visioner.