Chapter 6

MOONWATCHER

Moon couldn't understand anything about Visioner's sister. Brightness's mind was whisked into several different dimensions, and she saw color and taste in words or feelings. It was as if her entire mind was flipped upside down, and all her senses were mixed up in the process. 

How can Visioner understand her so easily? Moon had seen and heard how much Visioner cared and knew about Brightness. Her favorite food, color, word, and taste. 

And yet, Moon still couldn't figure anything out. And furthermore, she couldn't talk. And her mind's too...advanced for my powers.

Moon sighed, and wandered into her cave. 

It had been a strange day of confusing thoughts and classes, but a long rest could always fix that.

BRIGHTNESS

A few days had passed since Moon had visited Brightness. She'd given her the directions to the library, and Brightness had visited Starflight every day since the healers had told her she could move around the school. 

"Brightness," Starflight had said one day. "I think- and Tsunami thinks- that you're ready to begin your classes in Jade Mountain Academy."

Brightness had nodded, entranced in a majestic drawing of the huge, beautiful Great Ice Spirit. She'd looked up from the scroll. Her claws had twitched nervously. 

Had she wanted to start her classes? No. 

Had she wanted to learn more about the world? Yes.

But had she cared about what Tsunami thought? No.

"You need to learn more about Pyrrhia if you want to survive in this world," Starflight had persuaded. "There are millions of dragons that might want to kill you, and you need to learn how to hunt or maybe even fight to save yourself."

Destroyer had told Visioner and Brightness about the countless dragons that would kill them and eat them and torch them into flames, so that hadn't been a surprise.

Hunting and fighting, on the other talon, would be easy an easy problem to solve with her magic. 

But she'd decided to start tomorrow, because Starflight had always been so nice to her, and it didn't seem to make much harm to make him happy after all he'd done for her. 

So she'd agreed. 

And tomorrow had come.