Chapter 19

???

He knew they were close. 

He could feel their presence. 

He'd always hated his dragonets. The dragonets that dared to defy the blood moon by hatching one day earlier than they were supposed to. He'd set them outside on purpose, to watch as they drank up the blood moon's power.

But instead, they were cursed by the blood moon itself.

Visioner, my little, cowardly dragonet, He thought. I'll leave you to grieve, alone, in the mountain.

Your sister shall bow down to the power of the blood moon.

BRIGHTNESS

Brightness and Tamarin walked down the hall, making their way towards their cave. After a day of art, history, and math, night had finally come and it was time to rest. 

"Brightness," Tamarin said suddenly. "I don't want to sound rude, but how come I've never seen you around in the NightWing village? Oh, wait. That isn't a question you can answer. Hm. Do you live in the NightWing village?"

Brightness traced an 'x' in her palms. 

"No wonder. Then where did you-" Tamarin stopped abruptly as someone stepped in their way. She sniffed the air, then said, "Hi, Anemone."

Brightness waved half-heartedly at the pale SeaWing dragonet. Anemone scowled at her, but her voice was sweet as she gave something to Tamarin. "Hi, Tamarin. I made you a paper flower in art class. It's especially for you."

"Oh," Tamarin said, startled as the princess shoved a light blue and pink flower- not very much unlike her own scale colors- in her talons. "Thanks." Brightness didn't think it was useful for the blind dragonet, for she couldn't even see the colors, but she kept that thought to herself.

She always did, anyways.

Anemone gave Brightness another glare before linking arms with Tamarin. "You can sit with me, Pike, and Turtle in the prey center tomorrow, if you like." 

"Oh, it's okay," Tamarin smiled at her. "I'm eating with Brightness, and I don't particularly like fish very much." She wrinkled her snout. "I don't get why dragons eat animals."

Brightness had to agree with the RainWing; the rotting carcasses Destroyer brought her and Visioner every few days tasted horrible, radiating with green and brown and black. 

"Well-" Anemone started, a hint of a growl rumbling in her throat. 

But she never finished the sentence. Before any of them could say another word, the rocks above their heads shook, crashing to the ground. Anemone flung her wings above her head, letting out a sharp yelp as a rock smashed her to the ground. Tamarin was standing, frozen, in the middle, not knowing what to do. 

Brightness gripped Tamarin's talon in her own, but something flew down from the open night sky and grabbed Brightness in its huge claws.

"Brightness!" Tamarin cried, trying to hold on. But it was no use. The thing tore them apart, and flew away, carrying Brightness in its cruel holds. 

It was Destroyer, and he had captured Brightness again.