Chapter 15

MOONWATCHER

Moon arrived in the healing center, slightly guilty of the reason she was here.

I can't believe Tsunami just sent me here to spy on Brightness's thoughts...But then again, it's probably for the better.

She was sure that if whoever attacked the four dragonets from Gold Winglet had made Penguin forget everything that had happened to them, they must be smart enough to erase everyone's memories. 

It probably won't work, anyways. I can't even read Brightness's thoughts.

Moon scanned the beds as she walked past them. She shivered as she spotted Barb, who had thick bandages covering the tip of her tail. Even the tight white wraps couldn't hide the seeping blood or the shorter tail. Penguin was just besides her, bandages wrapped around one eye, and burn ointment smeared on his blackened snout.

Both of their minds held a strange small dragonet with colorless scales and no face, attacking them with wild claws and fire. 

There she is.

Moon spotted Brightness, who was several beds away from the dragonets. Her mind was as confusing as always, with strange random shapes and colors, and something about apples.

But there was definitely a shift in her head. Moon frowned. A faint echo of screams and blood and fire. But they were buried too deep for Moon to dig into. 

So the attacker didn't erase her memories. Because they knew that she couldn't speak...or because they knew a mind-reader couldn't see into her?

Or because the attacker was...Brightness?

BRIGHTNESS

Brightness felt like sunlights, but shadows and claws raked through them. Her heart felt like a feather, but also felt as heavy as Jade Mountain itself. 

She also couldn't forget Barb's high, pain-filled screech as something invisible ripped her tail-barb off her tail, the jagged wound fountaining a waterfall of blood.

The thought made Brightness triumphant. 

No one could laugh and make fun of her again. 

No one could hurt Visioner now.

Or they'd pay with their lives.

Brightness hid a delighted smile.

I am the most powerful dragon in the world.