Chapter 13

BRIGHTNESS

Brightness hurried away from Visioner and Winter, trying to remember what her next class was. The huge crowd of dragons pushed her around like a flower in the wind, but she couldn't find Tamarin anywhere. 

I think it was math. With...Tsunami? 

Brightness twisted through the hallways, trying to find Tsunami's classroom. But as the crowd of dragonets thinned out, she realized that she had no idea where she was. 

It was dark in this hallway, and not a single dragon was in sight. There were no classrooms, but she spotted a glimmer of light behind her. Brightness turned to go back to where she'd come, but three dragonets blocked her path. She recognized them as the dragonets in her winglet.

"Well, well, well." The IceWing, Penguin, who had sky-blue eyes and pure white scales smirked. "If this isn't our weirdo NightWing."

"I don't even get why Tsunami decided to let her join our winglet." Barb, a SandWing that was just a bit bigger than Brightness sniffed. "Isn't a blind dragon enough?"

Cyprus, a hybrid with dark blue scales of a SeaWing, but the long spikes of an IceWing, hissed at Brightness. "She looks puny." 

"It would be such a tragedy," Barb said, her voice dripping with bitter honey. "If the school found her dead in the hallways. We'd be so devastated."

"So devastated," Penguin agreed. 

Barb clawed at the ground, her black eyes gleaming with amusement. "I'm so scared," Cyrpus mocked. "This little NightWing might kill us with her majestic NightWing powers." 

And all three dragons sprang at Brightness.