Chapter One - Was it too late to call you?

Fresh, a fresh life, Tubbo thought, walking through the streets of Las Nevadas. He had just gotten a job with an old friend of his, Quackity. They hadn't talked in ages, and Tubbo was hoping they could catch up sometime. A lot had happened since they last talked.

"Big Q?" He asked, knocking on Quackity's office door. He could hear faint yelling from inside, and immediately recognized the other voice.

"GET OUT OF MY OFFICE!!" Quackity screamed angrily.

"Come on, Q," the other man laughed, "I'm not doing anything!"

"YOU KNOW YOU'RE NOT ALOUD HERE!" Quackity opened the door Tubbo stood in front of. "OUT!!" He pointed past Tubbo, not recognizing he was standing there. He was quite short, so he wasn't to hard to miss.

"Fine, fine.." Wilbur muttered as he walked out the door. "Might want to explain to your little assistant why you hate me." He smiled at Tubbo, and walked off. Tubbo looked into the office and smiled awkwardly.

"Hi.." He said, stepping inside, closing the door behind him. "What was that all about?"

"Oh, that's- nothing you should worry about. Here, sit down." Quackity pulled out a chair, and Tubbo sat down. He looked over at Quackity, his black hair gleaming in the slivers of sunlight leaking through the mostly shut curtains.

"Um, what do you, want me to do?" Tubbo was unsure if he should keep talking about what he walked in on, or if he should move one. He decided the latter was the safest option. He was wrong.

"God, that idiot!" Quackity slammed his fist onto the desk. "I told him not to come back, I warned him! but still, he just had to come back, he just had to remind me of- Nevermind.." Quackity ranted, then remembering his assistant was sitting in front of him. "Uh, I guess you can just hang around here with me, show you the ropes?"

"Sure!" Tubbo spent the day following Quackity, slowly getting the hang of things. They talked about what had happened in their lives since they last parted, catching up with each other. Quackity's story was mostly about Las Nevadas and Wilbur, a large portion about Wilbur. Tubbo talked a lot about Snowchester, about his life there, what it was like, his family, he talked a lot about Michael, and not so much about his husband.

"I mean, yeah, he was nice, but, it just... it didn't end up working out anyways, so it doesn't really matter much."

"But you cared about him?" Quackity asked.

"Well, yeah, I did, but-"

"-but you don't anymore. Why? What happened?" Quackity was confused, yet also intrigued. "What changed that made you hate him?"

"I- it's really complicated," Tubbo muttered, his head in his hands. "I don't even really know what happened, it happened so fast..."

"Sometimes we think we love someone, but we really don't. Maybe one day you guys will meet up and talk." Quackity said, sounding like Tubbo's big brother.

"Yeah, right." Tubbo scoffed. "Talk about it? I said I'd never speak to him ever again.."