A Light in the Darkness

T.K. stared at Kari for what felt like an eternity--the whole time unable to read her face--until Uri cleared his throat. T.K. broke his intense stare and looked back down at the young boy, mustering up the strength to attempt a smile at him. "Right. I appreciate the visit, Uri, but how about I walk you home?"

"But isn't she here to see you?"

"No worries, cutie. I could always go for a walk," Kari smiles widely at Uri. 

Uri cocked his head before looking nervously back at T.K. for a moment. After a beat of silence, he spoke again. "But I don't know you, lady. So why would I want you to come?"

To T.K.'s surprise, Kari laughs, her nose scrunching up the way it did when she found something hilarious. But before T.K. could figure out what either would say next, his phone vibrated.  He pulled it out and his heart was torn in multiple directions at once, but his eyes immediately found Uri. "It's Ephram."

"Answer it," Kari said, even earning a confused look from the younger Meyer brother. She shook her head, "Sorry. I just meant...he's probably worried to death about this little guy."

"Little?! I'm almost eleven, thank you very much!" Uri huffed, crossing his arms. "I'm not a baby or anything."

T.K. knew that despite Uri's protests, Ephram was probably worried sick; Kari was...right. He picked up the phone despite how dry his throat was, and how overcrowded his mind seemed to be.

"Ephram?" T.K. whispered as he put the phone on speaker before his body stopped him from saying more.

"Takeru? I'm so sorry. I normally wouldn't bother you. I'd give you your space, but I...I don't know where Uri is. Takeru...I lost him and I...I don't know what to do." Ephram's voice rang out over the phone and each time he said T.K.'s name, Kari seemed to notice.

But it was Uri who stopped his brother's breakdown, sensing T.K.'s own struggle to speak. He grabbed the phone and slanted it toward him before responding. "Ephram, I'm okay. Stop worrying; you're gonna make yourself sick again. I know you're probably gonna be mad, but I promise I'm safe...I just needed to talk to T.K. so I went to make sure he was okay...But I'll be home soon."

 Silence met them all before a heavy exhale was released on Ephram's end. T.K. couldn't quite place the emotion that tinted the older Meyer brother's voice. "Okay...I'll come to get you and-" 

"Nah. T.K.'s gonna walk me home...then maybe you guys can talk? Love you, okay? Bye!" And then Uri hung up without letting his brother answer, earning a soft smile from Kari.

"Uri...You shouldn't have hung up on him...What if Ephram doesn't want to see me right now?" T.K. shook his head, slipping on shoes in his doorway. "Or what if I... can't see him?"

"Then you're both dumber than I thought." Uri stuck his tongue out at T.K., who surprised himself when he let out a small laugh. But then Uri's face softened, "Look. I'm not asking you to get married today...just talk, ya know?"

T.K. hesitated in the doorway before closing his front door, casting a glance at Patamon in the digital space. But when Patamon nodded with a smile--giving T.K. his blessing to finally go outside for the first time in a while--he took it. 

T.K. locked up his house, sighing as he pushed down some rogue fears, and then looked at his walking buddies. A small smile formed on his face as he zoned out, remembering his very first interaction with Ephram and how being walking buddies started their relationship--whatever that was at this time. 

Shaking out of his daze, T.K. squatted down in front of Uri, his back to the young boy, and spoke over his shoulder. "I imagine you're tired of walking already--so we might as well get the piggyback ride out of the way, huh?"   

Uri laughed, accepting his offer quickly. "Thanks, T.K. I thought my feet were gonna fall off."

As Kari hesitated, taking in the interaction, her face clearly reflected how unsure she was. But Uri captured her attention. "You coming, lady? I think you and T.K. need to talk too."

And with a quick nod, Kari joined T.K. and the younger Meyer brother as they started walking toward his home. Toward Ephram's home...and toward the boy that T.K. had so desperately trying to avoid...

But, surprisingly, T.K. felt...okay.